Your collector type

General discussions about canadian coins.
john

Post by john » Fri Sep 12, 2008 6:48 am

I collect silver coins only.

North of 49

Post by North of 49 » Wed Sep 24, 2008 8:05 pm

Hello everyone
It will be nice to talk to others from different parts of the country,and different parts of the world, who share my interests.
I collect all denominations. Most of my sets date back to the 30's, no great key dates though.
I have also collected NCLT, 2002 and up. But lost interest when the RCM began churning out too much stuff to keep up with. So now I'm back to trying to complete my circulated sets.

Centsational

Post by Centsational » Fri Sep 26, 2008 1:26 am

1, 5, 25 cents. Key dates, ultra heavy cameos, scarce varieties and top grades.
Au, Ag, Pt, Pd Maples, and world gold coins when they can be had at low premiums over spot. Little mint product, but I have a couple hologram coins and some 1991 proof and PL 25 cent pieces I broke out of sets.

I don't like modern dimes or 50 cent pieces - the modern dime being smaller than the nickel and carrying less intrinsic value (unlike when it was silver), and the 50 cent piece being basically obsolete and existing only for collectors.

COINDEXTER

Post by COINDEXTER » Wed Oct 29, 2008 11:20 am

Hello, I collect anything from railway tolkens,world coins and notes too. I have so much canadian coinage i could learn a lot by joining :D

Lightw4re
Site Admin

Post by Lightw4re » Wed Oct 29, 2008 12:56 pm

Welcome to the board!

FreezerBurn

Post by FreezerBurn » Tue Nov 10, 2009 11:52 am

Hello! I collect Canadian circulation strikes by KM # and Small Cents by year from 1920 to date.

mkb

Post by mkb » Fri Nov 13, 2009 3:03 am

What is a KM #? Copper is nice to collect. Its also the toughest material to preserve.

Lightw4re
Site Admin

Post by Lightw4re » Sat Nov 14, 2009 5:59 pm

Ugly

Re: Your collector type

Post by Ugly » Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:15 am

I tend to collect 1923-1937 banknotes but have a big soft spot for the fifty cent pieces. I do buy some RCM products mostly gold and a few of the silver ML privy marks but I've somehow managed to acquire a lot of those 4 $ silver dinosaur coins ... just something about them all being different from one another but still PL is immensely satisfying. Though they are getting expensive as well (first year PARASAUROLOPHUS especially) I do get bored looking at the same things all the time, variety is the spice of life.

My favourite coins are actually the modern gold pieces with Native American themes that went from 97-2000 like the "White Buffalo" 200 dollar piece. I'd say I have mostly fifty cent pieces followed by a dozen or so of the 1967 gold 20's because I like the gold/copper alloy appearance. Most of them acquired when gold was lower to be sure.

Starting out my 9 year old with a modern collection since you know he's going to want to handle the coins and will drop them etc as he looks at them but it's fun to start get him hunting down the ones he needs and his excitement when I snag him a new quarter is priceless.

Overall too many things I want and too little money to get them all.

livingdinasaur

Post by livingdinasaur » Mon Aug 02, 2010 4:03 pm

Mine has been a varied lot. I started with US cents, went to Mexico, and collected types, the first time, the second time ai went with date. Then Back to the US cent, and then a bit of everything.
A few years later, (a lot of years later, actually), I went back to the US all types, and quickly went to the cent. I became a variety collector there, and then went to FE/IHC cents. Then because so many Canadian cents, and other denomination coins show up in rolls, I was collecting general Canadian coinage. That went into the small cents, and I filled several folders, with about six coins left to finisgh off the last four.
Then I received a bunch of "Vickys".
I have since "abandoned" all the other types, etc, and will specialize on them. I intend to research them very deeply, and if my time is enough, I may even find a new variety. That could be a challenge, in the 1859 area!
I have gotten Rob's books, and am actively looking for several other references,(depending on price, and availability). to use for my research.
I will be looking for generally coins of lower grades, because the grade will not be important. It is the "coin in hand", which will allow the close inspection of both faces, to determine the details.
I am in a very bad location to apttempt this, but where there is a will, there must be a way, and I am looking for it.
To help my research, I was able to buy 500 culls. Surprisingly enough, there were only a very few that the date cannot be read, but the rims are complete enough to serve the purpose.
So, if you have a few culls laying around, let me know what, and how many. I will contact you to find out the "How much" part, as required.
Pleaase do not take this as an attempt to 'buy, sell, or trade". It is only info in regards to my new "Passion".
Thanks, and it is nice to be back. it has been a while!

edit:I hope it is not against rules to 'buy, sell, or trade". I don't know if there is a BST section, but if not, I want to let it be known that i AM looking for bulk large cents, preferably the "Vickys". I need the low grades/culls range. The grade is of no interest. Just as long as the coin is not damaged on the areas of die identification. I just need numbers of coins, not quality.
Any help along this line is appreciated Thanks!
Dick
Only the good die young!
I shall live forever!

TonySmart

Post by TonySmart » Sun Dec 02, 2012 9:51 pm

Hi! I collect purely Canadian coins, tokens, and notes. I have a fairly large raw collection with most items in AU to uncirculated conditon. I am working on all denominations but am concentrating most on large and small cents and pre 1922 nickels. One of my favourite pieces however is an 1844 half cent token from Bank of Montreal as it's uncommon to find one in MS condition. Image