Your collector type

General discussions about canadian coins.
Lightw4re
Site Admin

Your collector type

Post by Lightw4re » Thu Sep 04, 2008 5:54 pm

Just want to know which type of coins are you collection the most.

1 cent ?
5 cents nickel ?
Silver dollars ?
... ?

Personnaly, everything but no RCM Products.

mithrandir

Post by mithrandir » Thu Sep 04, 2008 6:44 pm

same things for me, everything;

All dénomination of canadian coins and notes.
colonial token
all type of medals and token
foreign countries coins and note

I also starting a collection of numismatic publishing, old book, catallogue, magazine.
One of my last buy is a édition of 1963 of the canada coin news;

And me to no RCM products :evil:

Fiston2005

Post by Fiston2005 » Fri Sep 05, 2008 7:34 am

I collect 1 cent and 5 cents passionately. For months I started timidly on 10 cents, 25 cent and 50 cents.

wiser3

Post by wiser3 » Fri Sep 05, 2008 9:07 am

My passion is Canadian 1 cent coins. I've spent that last 28 years putting together, not one, but two collections of all major varieties of Canada cents in high grades. I still have about a dozen of the rarer ones to get and hope to finish it within the next couple years.

Once the Canada cent collection is complete i plan on collecting the provincial cents.

I also have some Canada 5, 10, 20/25, 50 cent, dollars, twoones and proof like sets but don't feel the same sentiments towards them.
----

Don't be waylaid by the empty rhetoric of the uninformed.

Topher

Post by Topher » Fri Sep 05, 2008 7:43 pm

I collect one of each year for all denominations, although I've yet to being on the non-commemorative quarters for some reason. I've started to collect additional varieties for the 1 cent and 5 cent. I don't collect NCLT, unless it found it's way into circulation. :)

I also collect US coins by year/mintmark (again, except the non-commemorative quarters for some reason), and I also collect world coins by KM#. As you can guess, I've got a long way to go, but it's not about getting to the end, it's about the journey along the way.

Jumpy

Post by Jumpy » Fri Sep 05, 2008 8:47 pm

Hi ya'll

I collect canadian circulation coins by type. All denominations except for the 10 cents coin which i just find too boring to collect.

Alike Lightw4re, I'm not much into RCM products, although I did buy the Victoria Cross dollar and the Poppy dollar... I have a weakness for WW2 memorabilia (my grandfather was a tail gunner in a Halifax Bomber during WW2).

I have a strong preference for the 1 cent and 5 cents coins. I also like dollars (from 1935 to present), but just the ones that circulated as there is now far too many dollar coins released by the RCM each year for which you have to pay big money.

BCNumismatics

Post by BCNumismatics » Sat Sep 06, 2008 12:39 am

I collect anything Canadian that has circulated as currency,including the coins of New Brunswick,Newfoundland,Nova Scotia,& Prince Edward Island.

I've never been a fan of medal-coins,but I do have one coin that is,strictly speaking,a medal-coin - the very scarce (& underrated!) 1987 Voyageur $1 that came out of an Unc. set that had a damaged 25c. coin pocket.I also got the 1987 50c. coin that way as well.

I've even got an example of the Rutherford Bros. 1/2d. token from Harbour Grace,Newfoundland,plus an example of the rare Magdalen Islands 1d. token,which was issued in 1815 by Sir Isaac Coffin while the Magdalen Islands were under Newfoundland's administration.

Aidan.

Kevin

Post by Kevin » Sat Sep 06, 2008 12:59 am

I collect mostly Canadian decimals & paper.
For the last couple of years I've been concentrating on the 5 cent nickel series 1922 to date. I have nearly completed this series in ICCS MS-64 for the most part, with only a couple of coins to go. I have also picked up some pretty neat varieties along the way.

I also have a fairly extensive PL set collection dating 1953 to date. Here too, I have some scarcer ones, including the 1973 large bust, the Nunavut mule and the recent Wheelchair curling mule, which I discovered.

BCNumismatics

Post by BCNumismatics » Sat Sep 06, 2008 1:08 am

Kevin wrote:I collect mostly Canadian decimals & paper.
For the last couple of years I've been concentrating on the 5 cent nickel series 1922 to date. I have nearly completed this series in ICCS MS-64 for the most part, with only a couple of coins to go. I have also picked up some pretty neat varieties along the way.

I also have a fairly extensive PL set collection dating 1953 to date. Here too, I have some scarcer ones, including the 1973 large bust, the Nunavut mule and the recent Wheelchair curling mule, which I discovered.

Kevin,
Can you please post some photos? You can get a gallery from http://www.mycoinpictures.com .

My photos have been edited with the assistance of http://www.photoscape.org .

Aidan.

Kevin

Post by Kevin » Sat Sep 06, 2008 2:28 am

BCNumismatics

Post by BCNumismatics » Sat Sep 06, 2008 3:28 am

Kevin,
Those are very nice coins that you've posted up.Have you thought about building a gallery,just like this one here; http://www.leagueofnations.net ?

You can post up photos of your coins & banknotes from both Canada & other countries.

It would be nice to see what this year's Canadian commemoratives look like.

Aidan.

Nath

Post by Nath » Sat Sep 06, 2008 9:28 am

For me
I collect all canadian coin but
I prefer the oldest cent!
Hi have a nice day!!!
visit my forum
http://amouranimaux.meilleurforum.com
but you must know the french

Adrenalyne

Post by Adrenalyne » Sat Sep 06, 2008 9:55 am

I collect PLset varieties and some varieties of canadian coins.

mithrandir

Post by mithrandir » Mon Sep 08, 2008 9:50 pm

Ho yeah, i forget the only RCM product that i collect is the PL-set.

LordCo

Post by LordCo » Wed Sep 10, 2008 11:41 am

I'm not overly picky... I'll add anything to my collection.

My collection is world coins and banknotes but I do put an emphasis on Canadian items. About the only thing that doesn't interest me is the RCM yearly sets, and in fact, the only one I actually have is the 1991 set that I grabbed just to have the 25 cent piece :)
[url=http://www.leagueofnations.net][img]http://www.leagueofnations.net/images/bragbar.jpg[/img][/url]