Buying coins - discounts over Trends/CCN

General discussions about canadian coins.
michael

Buying coins - discounts over Trends/CCN

Post by michael » Sun Dec 01, 2013 9:53 pm

Hi - I'm new to the buying of coins for a collection. I have bought a few coins (mostly just large & small cents so far) from a coin shop, been fairly plaesed with the purchases and pleased to see taht his prices matched the prices in Canadian Coin News/Trends listings. This seemed appropriate to me anyway. But recently I've been reading posts from pepole saying that they usually expect to be able to pay 30-40% (or whatever) less than the Trends prices. Where are they finding these prices - or are they negotitaing with the coin shop dealer? Are the coin shop prices commonly negotiable? I wouldn't have expected that?

I am looking mostly at the F to XF grades, not MS. (so far :wink: )

Bill in Burl

Re: Buying coins - discounts over Trends/CCN

Post by Bill in Burl » Wed Dec 04, 2013 8:17 am

Most dealers (and shows) will offer 20-40% discounts ... always ask. Even a number of Ebay dealers will take less than expected early on in an auction or less than start price if they have made it too high.
Bill in Burl

michael

Post by michael » Wed Dec 04, 2013 10:35 am

OK - thanks Bill. It pays to ask here too! :) When would you expect 20 and when 40%? With a larger purchase, or do you specify you want, say 40%?

I have been noticing that the ebay auctions seem to go easily at or even above the Trends price, not a discount. Either that or my own ebay-grading skills are grading the coins lower than they are. I've been surprised that the prices run up higher than I expect them to be. Would you concur with that? I'm beginning to think I shouldn't expect to find any deals on ebay that easily.

Michael

Shylo

Post by Shylo » Sat Dec 07, 2013 9:41 pm

Auctions can typically get a bit heated and some people don't like to lose an item once they've started to bid on it.... perhaps an ego thing.. perhaps it's that ONE item they REALLY want...

I know for certain I saw a very nice '46 hoof in ....50 cent piece... I paid WAY too much... but it was something I really wanted.. I'm happy with it.. it will be in my collection for a long while and I don't really care that I take a loss if I ever sell (don't really intend on selling)

As for deals.... I would say from the sounds of things your starting to build a pretty good relationship at your LCS... That really does go a LONG way.. if you go to a show many dealers will try to get your business as there will be many tables set up... they may be willing to give you a deal. (I see this more when shows actually have less action.. I sat down and I told the dealer I really wasn't planning on buying just wanted to see a few neat pieces and asked to see if he had an X,Y and Z.... we chatted for an hour easy... I can say I made a new friend... and ended up getting a fantastic deal on a coin.... I think we both we very happy for the exchange of business and plesantries)

As you start looking for certain coins in particular... you will look at a variety of places ... gaining knowledge and you will learn if the price you're getting is good or not. On almost anything I buy.. from shoes to clothes to coins.. I always ask the sales person.. "what's your best price"... sometimes I get a better deal... sometimes I don't... but I don't think I have ever really offended an individual just for asking.. eventually as you build your relationship with your nearest LCS.. they just start giving you some sort of discount as they know you're going to ask anyways..

That's my two cents... now lets see some pictures of yours!!