Help on a bulk lot price

General discussions about canadian coins.
Richards

Help on a bulk lot price

Post by Richards » Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:14 pm

Hey all,

I was wondering if some of you could help me out with a price here. A coworker of my father was recently cleaning out his now-deceased father's house. He said he had pack rat/hoarder tendencies, and while cleaning out the basement came across a bucket full of rolled pennies from the 1930s. There was no mention as to how many or the condition, but I can only assume that they are all circulated. The coworker is looking to sell them and has been passed my number, but I wouldn't have the slightest clue as to what to offer per roll. My dad also told me he passed his coworker along a printout of the 1930s pennies values page from the site here, but aside from that he has nothing to go off of and probably couldn't even grade them off hand. My understanding is that they are also unsorted. What would you guys suggest I offer to have that happy medium between getting a deal for myself on a bulk purchase such as this and not ripping off/keeping happy his coworker?

Thanks!

Bill in Burl

Re: Help on a bulk lot price

Post by Bill in Burl » Wed Jul 16, 2014 2:47 am

Just to be sure, before an answer ... Are they Canadian cents? And how many rolls are there? Your dad's co-worker will need to realize that you can't sell coins to a book ... you need someone with a wallet, so prices from this or other sites are meaningless.
Bill in Burl

Richards

Post by Richards » Fri Jul 18, 2014 5:22 pm

Hey Bill,

He said they are mostly Canadian with a few American in there, easily 95% Canadian. He didn't know off hand how many rolls he had, but I'm waiting to hear back from him on that one.

Thanks for the inherent tip also with the book-value, wallet comment. Got me thinking I may need to brush up on my Pawn Stars negotiating lol

henrysmedford

Post by henrysmedford » Wed Jul 23, 2014 6:42 pm

I would offer 2-3 cents each.

Shylo

Post by Shylo » Thu Aug 14, 2014 8:37 pm

In previous auctions in bulk lots for pennies from 1920-1954 I have personally paid as low as 5 cents and as high as 30 cents a piece depending on the quantity and quality.

If you're going sight unseen and ungraded I would say a fair offer is somewhere between $2 and $5 bucks per roll. $5 per roll would be my top end price as that's 10 cents a piece for something unseen and if there's a high quantity of rolls you may be pouring out a lot of good money.

Bill makes a great point as well... the catalog is really only a guide but right now MOST prices are a bit inflated... you can find most of the 30's pennies in almost every junk bin at any show at 3-5 for a $1...

If I was in your shoes I would pick 'em up... I just love going through bulk lots like the one you may get.. in hopes to find a "gem" but honestly I don't have much in the way of any hopes of selling the ones I have as I don't think there's any great demand and I wouldn't generate any profit for all the work it would take to list so many items and ship 'em..
Please keep us updated.. and if you end up picking them up.. please post some pics!!

la cenne

Post by la cenne » Mon Aug 18, 2014 6:18 am

I love bulk lots as well,if your friend wants to get rid of it,he need to at least count the rolls. Pictures of a typical roll would also help juge the content and establish a fair price.If I was in the area I would certainly drop in to have a look and make and offer.

For exemple,a 1930 and 31 are 5 to 10 times more valuable than the other 30's :Rechercher: