Price differences

General discussions about canadian coins.
coinme

Price differences

Post by coinme » Wed Feb 18, 2015 7:13 pm

I get a little confused as to what pricing to use. For example. I have a 1962 MS64 nickel. In the Canadian Coin News it trends at $15, the Charlton book has it at $35 and this website has it at $13. that is a big price difference. I notice that with a lot of coins and I am not sure what to use. Why the difference?

Bill in Burl

Re: Price differences

Post by Bill in Burl » Thu Feb 19, 2015 4:02 am

The only thing that I use any price guide for is to get a general idea of the scarcity/population on denominations/monarchs that I don't collect and to never use just one source. I use a general rule of thumb that I can buy any coin at 50% of Charlton and 70% of Trends if I'm not in a hurry or I'm looking for a friendly bourse dealer. All bets are off on scarcer Vicky coins over MS--62 or anything else over 64 and not modern. They can put in the front of any Charlton or Trends whatever they want about "full retail" or the price that a knowledgeable seller is offering xxx to man experienced buyer, but it all comes down to "reality". And reality is 50% Charlton, 70% Trends or less.
Bill in Burl

coinme

Post by coinme » Thu Feb 19, 2015 11:15 am

Great! Thanks for the reply. That makes sense.

Shylo

Post by Shylo » Thu Feb 19, 2015 12:04 pm

Gotta remember that the books are written 6months prior to printing.. so they're almost a complete shot in the dark.. and frequently overestimated..

Trends is a bit closer...but as bill said if you're not in a hury and if it's pretty common you can get it for around 70% of trends..

The rule of thumb for me is if I see a coin I wish to buy.. I need to see 3 others like it and compair prices... it helps reduce the spontaneous/compulsive buys I am known for...