Places to buy in Canada?

General discussions about canadian coins.
Joe100

Places to buy in Canada?

Post by Joe100 » Mon Sep 28, 2015 1:40 am

Would like to know of places that are good to buy online, also in person if someone knows of dealers in Calgary, Alberta that are reputable.

What are good grading institutions in Canada for coins?

Thanks

Lightw4re
Site Admin

Re: Places to buy in Canada?

Post by Lightw4re » Mon Sep 28, 2015 10:45 am

You can see some stores with e-commerce websites here :
http://www.coinsandcanada.com/shop-stores.php

And here : http://www.coinsandcanada.com/links.php

bushman74

Post by bushman74 » Thu Oct 01, 2015 3:10 pm

Hi Joe,

First thing I would recommend is that you come to a Calgary Numismatic Society meeting. We meet at 19:30 on the 4th

Tuesday of every month at the Hillhurst-Sunnyside Community Centre at 1320 - 5th Ave NW, one block east of 14 St NW in

Kensington.

Here is the link http://www.calgarynumismaticsociety.org/meetings.html

Guests are always welcome and if you decide to join the membership is very cheap, approx $15.

All the members will be pleased to give their personal preferences for dealers, plus some of the members are always

selling coins, notes, tokens, etc.

As for buying online, I suggest extreme caution as there are many fake and forgeries out there and you can get badly

stung.

For dealers, it all depends on what you are looking for.

A few dealers are:

Jim Harrison - at the Crossroads Farmers market - 26 Ave SE across from the Blackfoot and Ogden Rd intersection. Near the

food court.

Clyde Vincent (Keith) - at the Crossroads Farmers market - 26 Ave SE across from the Blackfoot and Ogden Rd intersection.

(on south side)

Alyth Coin (Bob) in the small plaza beside/off the exit from Ogden road to Blackfoot Trail east.

Calgary Coin (Robert) - 1404 Centre St SE. you have to knock on the door to get in.

It's a pity you didn't post this a few weeks back as we had a big coin show in Calgary on the 12 & 13 of Sept.

Also this Saturday (Oct 3) there will be a collectable show at the Thornecliffe-Greenview Community centre 5600 Centre St

N.

There is usually a few people selling coins there.

I will be there helping a friend. I will have 2 cases of coins and notes, he will have collectables like

hockey mugs, pins and books. We are both members of the Calgary coin club.

We will be in the smaller of the two rooms. As you walk in the entrance to the small room, we be one of the first set of

tables you see ahead and slightly to the left (isle) of the door.

Al and I will be please to give you some tips.

Hope you can make it to either or both events.

Jack

Shylo

Post by Shylo » Fri Oct 02, 2015 11:21 pm

There's a lot of great places to pick up coins.. some already mentioned above...

Here's just a list of some of my places I look:

1) Ebay: there are many pitfalls with ebay but it's a great place to see what others are willing to pay for similar pieces. As previously mentioned about counterfeits this is one caveat. If you're into coins that are mid to high priced I would recommend buying graded pieces.. even then it would be beneficial to know and learn how counterfeiters make fake "slabs".. because they're out there!

2) Local coin shows: Good place to meet local vest pocket dealers and others in the hobby. Great place to meet with friends and network.

3) Local auctions: This is one place you MUST tread lightly. I have seen fakes at local auctions. And it's very hard to tell an auctioneer that doesn't specifically deal in numimatics an item they're selling is fake and they do something about it. For local auctions I check out "globalauctionguide.com" and what ever other resources you can find to find local auctions.

4) icollector: this is an auction web site and frequently there are some major numismatic auction houses who use this web site to host their auctions. Just the is past weekend was the coin expo and the auction was held by Geoffrey Bell auction house and was hosted on icollector.. some really nice pieces sold there.

5) Internet forums... this forum doesn't have much action on the buy/sell list but there are others out there and if you're contributing member you can buy and sell some items with other members.

6) Flea markets... local flea markets will sometimes have a hobbiest that's starting to get rid of their collections or try to flip their material.

7) Coin clubs: not only a great place to network but usually they too have coin auctions.

castor

Post by castor » Sat Oct 03, 2015 7:03 am

Shylo wrote:5) Internet forums... this forum doesn't have much action on the buy/sell list but there are others out there and if you're contributing member you can buy and sell some items with other members.

viewforum.php?f=9
BYE. Image

PSPTrooper

Post by PSPTrooper » Mon Jan 25, 2016 4:56 pm

There is an on-line place to buy Canadian. I believe it is called USA Coins but they sell other then just U.S. Here is there address: www.usacoinbook.com