Storing Coins

General discussions about canadian coins.
sidecutter

Storing Coins

Post by sidecutter » Thu Nov 15, 2018 3:23 pm

I have a few hundred coins that I have collected and inherited her the years. I was wondering how most people store their coins.. I have them in small boxes and they are just in their sleeves stacked up against each other ..
Does anybody us a software program to keep track of the inventory or just a piece of paper or do we really bother and just hang on to them as they are.. I guess I would like to keep track of what I have in an efficient way . I would be interested in knowing what others were doing... Thanks Brian

troubadour

Re: Storing Coins

Post by troubadour » Fri Nov 16, 2018 9:25 am

A well-done spreasheet is sufficient for inventory. For most of my coins I use Mylar flip cardboard with BCW pocket album pages.

sidecutter

Post by sidecutter » Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:03 am

Thank you for the reply.. in your spreadsheet would you have a column for information such as your own grade and perhaps the grade of the coin certified by a grading organization,, the price paid and current value.
Im just starting to put together a spreadsheet using my MacBook. I may add a column for notes about that particular coin. Ive decided to place an inventory number on the cardboard sleeve to tie in that coin with the spread sheet. Am I on the right track?
Brain

troubadour

Post by troubadour » Fri Nov 16, 2018 6:19 pm

yes. date bought, price bought, personal grade, certified grade, certified number, error, charlton #, others

All in a pivot table to be able to know how many, how much, paid price vs current value, $ spent by month or year

sidecutter

Post by sidecutter » Sat Nov 17, 2018 5:43 pm

Thank you.
so far Ive got it some whate like this
Coin # year denomination my grade given grade when purchased certified grade purchase price

I think I'll add in date of purchase and perhaps where i purchased them as well
Thanks