Nickel vs Silver vs loonie value

General discussions about canadian coins.
kkmacgoody

Nickel vs Silver vs loonie value

Post by kkmacgoody » Mon May 27, 2019 10:59 am

is it just me that finds it difficult to discern whether coinandcanada listed values for more "modern" dollars (1970s to today) being referred to in the price guide are silver dollars, nickel dollars or loonies? Same problem with trends. thx

coinguy

Re: Nickel vs Silver vs loonie value

Post by coinguy » Mon May 27, 2019 5:41 pm

I don't really see the problem. The three different terms help distinguish the different
generations of Canadian Dollars.
Silver Dollars- Issued between 1935-1967. Composed of 80% Silver. (Some Silver Dollars issued later in Proof Sets)
Nickel Dollars-Issued between 1968-1987. Composed of 100% Nickel.
Loonies- issued between 1987 to Present. Composed of Nickel/Bronze.

kkmacgoody

Post by kkmacgoody » Thu May 30, 2019 10:02 am

thx for reply, coinguy. I understand there is no such thing as a stupid question, so let me elaborate with a 2nd question: How do I know whether I am seeing the value of 1973 nickel dollar or 1973 silver dollar in the coincand canada price lists? For instance, if you double click on the 1973 dollar, either under the circulated, uncirculated, SP or PL tabs you get the same picture of the 1973 Nickel PEI dollar, not the silver mountie on horse.

I joined this forum to get this question answered only. Cheers

coinguy

Post by coinguy » Thu May 30, 2019 11:06 am

Actually that's a good question.
The prices you see in Coins and Canada, Trends and most other lists are for Business Strikes (circulating coins).
As 1967 was the last year for a business strike silver dollar, anything after that was a produced as a collector coin
known as a NCLT. (non circulating legal tender) that were not meant for general circulation. As Canada has produced
literally thousands of NCLT's, they are generally have their own listing such as Charlton Canadian Coins Volume II.
The 1973 Silver Mountie Dollar would be included with these.
There are collectors who collect either one or the other and some who collect both.

Lightw4re
Site Admin

Post by Lightw4re » Mon Jun 03, 2019 10:21 am

Currently, you can find the RCMP and silver on the auctions section :
http://www.coinsandcanada.com/coins-auc ... end=Search

Royal Canadian Mint products (such as the Mountie 1973 silver dollar) will be gradually included in a new section of Coinsandcanada website.

is it just me that finds it difficult to discern whether coinandcanada listed values for more "modern" dollars (1970s to today) being referred to in the price guide are silver dollars, nickel dollars or loonies? Same problem with trends. thx

Nickel. (view coinguy post).

You can find the alloy for most coins in the price guide under the "Specifications" sub-title.
http://www.coinsandcanada.com/coins-pri ... -1965-1989

Thank you for your comment!