What really matters?

General discussions about canadian coins.
JNOD

What really matters?

Post by JNOD » Wed Nov 06, 2019 6:46 am

I've returned to collecting over the last two years - I'm focused on Newfoundland 1865 - 1890 and the Province of Canada 1841 - 1867. I am having a terrific time!

The question is: what are the best coins to buy? Key dates? High grade? Complete sets? Varieties?

Answer #1 (the amateur): "I buy things that I like - generally attractive, high grade".

Answer #2 (professional dealers): "focus on re-sale - problem-free key dates".

Answer #3 (the neurotics): "buy things that are graded".

Answer #4 (the opportunists): "get good at grading and buy things that are un-graded".

Answer #5 (the purists): "don't go anywhere near eBay".

Answer #6 (the party-goers): "don't listen to the purists".

Any thoughts about this coinland?

momomomo

Re: What really matters?

Post by momomomo » Wed Nov 06, 2019 8:39 am

:lol: :lol: Love it!
I'm probably a mix between amateur and party-goers + a bit of all of the others. :Étudiant:
JNOD wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 6:46 am
Province of Canada 1841 - 1867.
You mean colonial tokens?

GBELEC

Post by GBELEC » Wed Nov 06, 2019 8:51 am

I think the first thing you have to deside is if you want to make money at collecting or just collect. If you want to have a collection that is worth more in 10 years then it is now I think you better be looking at high grade coins , certified or not. If your like me , I just buy what I can afford and what I like. I will probably lose money if there comes a time I would sell it off, but I will enjoy the collection I’m putting together even if it’s below a lot of people’s standards. The most important thing is to enjoy. I know this probably isn’t the rely you are looking for!! But I like to get my 2 cents in!

JNOD

Post by JNOD » Wed Nov 06, 2019 2:02 pm

momomomo wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 8:39 am
:lol: :lol: Love it!
I'm probably a mix between amateur and party-goers + a bit of all of the others. :Étudiant:
JNOD wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 6:46 am
Province of Canada 1841 - 1867.
You mean colonial tokens?

Yes - some of those but also the 1858/9 coins - I'm kind of obsessed with them. They're nice to look at and the numerous errors sort of crack me up; 1859 especially. Kind of a drunk production run....

JNOD

Post by JNOD » Wed Nov 06, 2019 2:04 pm

GBELEC wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 8:51 am
I think the first thing you have to deside is if you want to make money at collecting or just collect. If you want to have a collection that is worth more in 10 years then it is now I think you better be looking at high grade coins , certified or not. If your like me , I just buy what I can afford and what I like. I will probably lose money if there comes a time I would sell it off, but I will enjoy the collection I’m putting together even if it’s below a lot of people’s standards. The most important thing is to enjoy. I know this probably isn’t the rely you are looking for!! But I like to get my 2 cents in!

Yes, this seems true to me. I've been seeking advice from various dealers and people who show up to the various shows. There are a lot of opinions out there - though there is a strong tendency to favour stuff that has good re-sale potential.

DarkSki

Post by DarkSki » Tue Feb 11, 2020 9:43 pm

Certainly keep an eye on Ebay when you have spare time but only if you are looking for junk silver. Most all non graded coins on there have been cleaned (Without mention) and thus not worth more than spot. However just recently I have gotten 10 silver dollars at $11 a piece because the poster spelt Canada wrong believe it or not