RCM removing coins out of system 1999 and back

General discussions about canadian coins.
KellyB

RCM removing coins out of system 1999 and back

Post by KellyB » Sat Oct 07, 2023 1:03 pm

Good morning,

It has been nearly 20 years since the RCM had taken upon themselves to forage for coins that are nickel base and other metals, melting these coins down and selling the metals, it was profitable to do so, than producing nickel or copper coins. the plated steel coins in 2000 (nearly 24 years ago) are cheaper to produce.

With all these nickel, copper and silver coins sent back to RCM, (from Constar, banks) did they track how many coins they actually melted down? Which would give us a clearer picture how many coins with nickel, copper and silver actually are still in circulation.

Or, did they through them all in to a caldron (Happy Halloween) :P

Am thinking coin roll hunting it's got to be fruitless with their determination to remove all valuable metals.

Thoughts and ideas welcome.

coinguy

Re: RCM removing coins out of system 1999 and back

Post by coinguy » Sat Oct 07, 2023 4:15 pm

I think your only chance of finding older coins in rolls is if you can get some that were rolled privately and
turned into the bank. Any of the newer rolls that were were rolled by third parties for the mint certainly would not have any in them. If you are on good terms with your teller, ask if they would put any of these aside for you and good like searching them.

TBH

Post by TBH » Sat Oct 07, 2023 7:30 pm

Even twenty years ago finding silver in rolls was uncommon.
I would only find half a dozen or so per year.
Copper and nickel coins are not valuable for their metal content, unless you have tonnes of them to melt.

KellyB

Post by KellyB » Mon Oct 09, 2023 12:55 pm

Good morning,

Thank you for your replies! I should correct myself I believe coins 2012 and back they started to remove. Removing coins with nickel or copper base metals, does this not greatly reduce that number of coins in circulation produced 2012 back? If this is the case, would the value of a coin increase when the numbers has been greatly reduced? For example the 1991 25 cent coin, only 459,000 were circulated in the year 1991, now it's 30 years later, and culling has been going on extensively since 2004. The majority of these coins that are left, are probably in the hands of collectors. Could be only be 10,000 or maybe less. And another example any silver coins from 1968 and back, what is left are in the hands of collectors. So what I am getting at, The pricing of coins here, do you at all consider what could be left in the system, instead of looking at the total mintage when they were produced? I remember people here telling people to melt there old silver coins cause they were only worth melt value. Again, reducing the number of coins of a particular year.

Anyway, my thoughts on culling. Any answers would be greatly appreciated!