Can you still find 1991 quarters in the wild

General discussions about canadian coins.
GBELEC

Can you still find 1991 quarters in the wild

Post by GBELEC » Thu Jan 11, 2024 3:48 pm

Sorry for no photos as I have mentioned in the past I’m not good with computer stuff.
But I was coin roll hunting and had to look several times to believe my eyes but I have found a 1991 quarter for my collection. It is in poor condition but that fits right in with most of my coins. :D

troubadour

Re: Can you still find 1991 quarters in the wild

Post by troubadour » Sun Jan 14, 2024 9:00 pm

some may be found out there, but rarer due to multi-ply plating
Coin News wrote:RCM Multi-ply plating is a unique electroplating process which deposits thin, alternating layers of nickel and copper over a steel core, or “blank”, to produce the best quality, most economical nickel and copper based coins circulation coins available. RCM Multi-ply plated circulation coins are proudly produced by the skilled technicians of the Mint’s Winnipeg facility, where all circulation coins, for Canada and countries from around the globe are produced.

GBELEC

Post by GBELEC » Tue Jan 16, 2024 9:43 am

I thought they held a bit of a premium because of their mintage . I’ve been keeping my eye out for one in my coin roll hunting for years . In fact I picked up a 1991 proof set down in the US at a coin store a few years ago for $15 US dollars . Was a buy for the set I thought and it gave me a quarter even if it was a proof . Was truly shocked to find one hunting rolls.

TBH

Post by TBH » Tue Jan 16, 2024 2:05 pm

Great find!
I've been looking for over 30 years without luck.