Canadian Coin Variety Book

General discussions about conservation and classification.
Kopper Ken

Canadian Coin Variety Book

Post by Kopper Ken » Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:03 am

Hello Group:

I'm new to the Canadian group but not new to collecting coins, about 50 years. I still have the PEI 1-cent from my youth. Is there a book or books that discuss Canadian varieties, not errors? :?: Perhaps maybe there is one for each series or value. Any suggestion or direction would be appreciated. :Prier: I do have Charlton. I took a look at CAC values for the 1858 1c and saw a number of varieties with references, but there was no listing for any source.

Thank you.

Ken S.
NYC-USA

PS: Hey I really feel Canadian now. Just got a Calgary born daughter-in-law. :Cowboy:

Bill in Burl

Re: Canadian Coin Variety Book

Post by Bill in Burl » Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:43 am

I would suggest that you follow the coin sites here to bone up on varieties. In the back of each year's Charlton is a section 60-100 pages of varieties for a certain denomination/monarch. Starting in 2011 65th edition, the variety sections were written by long-established collectors or a cadre of collectors, rather than dealers. So far, there has been Vicky large cents, nickel dollars, 50 cents and a few more. Look for used copies on Ebay or Amazon.

Jim Haxby has written a great die tracker's guide to all the 1859's: https://www.vickycents.com/prime.html and Rob Turner has written 4 great books that cover the 1858's, 1859/8's, 1890's, 1891's and 1894's and his book Dies and Diadems (which has the 1891's catalogued) gives a great run-down of the mintages from 1876-1901. All 4 should be kinda considered "bibles" for large cent collector libraries (expensive but well worth it). If you are into large cents, the 2011 65th edition is a MUST .. I was one of the co-authors.

Welcome to this site.
Bill in Burl

Bill in Burl

Post by Bill in Burl » Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:43 am

I would suggest that you follow the coin sites here to bone up on varieties. In the back of each year's Charlton is a section 60-100 pages of varieties for a certain denomination/monarch. Starting in 2011 65th edition, the variety sections were written by long-established collectors or a cadre of collectors, rather than dealers. So far, there has been Vicky large cents, nickel dollars, 50 cents and a few more. Look for used copies on Ebay or Amazon.

Jim Haxby has written a great die tracker's guide to all the 1859's: https://www.vickycents.com/prime.html and Rob Turner has written 4 great books that cover the 1858's, 1859/8's, 1890's, 1891's and 1894's and his book Dies and Diadems (which has the 1891's catalogued) gives a great run-down of the mintages from 1876-1901. All 4 should be kinda considered "bibles" for large cent collector libraries (expensive but well worth it). If you are into large cents, the 2011 65th edition is a MUST .. I was one of the co-authors.

Welcome to this site.
Bill in Burl

Coin-Flipper

Post by Coin-Flipper » Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:47 am

Hi Ken,

Maybe try - The Book of Canadian Coins and Their Varieties - by Pierre Charest.

They also talk about errors and give you a good idea on the Canadian numismatic world!! The book has various versions to it depending which years you really enjoy.

By the way, coins and canada here under the search of any specific coin will show you some varieties and or errors.

Cheers!!

Bill in Burl

Post by Bill in Burl » Sun Mar 04, 2018 1:17 pm

In addition to the suggestions above, you can try to find the old Hans Zoell pamphlets/books from the mid-60's to the early 70's. I would start with the 4th iteration from the 60's .. that's when he started separating Major from Minor varieties. His Major Varieties are what we consider now to be varieties. His Minor Varieties are almost all errors.

And if you are just interested in large cents, try to find Jack Griffin's "Some Die Varieties of the large cents of British North America and Canada(1992) which was THE required text for Canadian large cents before Charlton started with their variety sections. The original is hard to find. The original was republished, after Jack's death, by Charlton under the same name and as "2nd edition" Monograph 1. DO NOT use this Charlton reprint Monograph 1 as a way to visually find your varieties. You can use the verbiage and the numbering system, but a very large percentage of the descriptions are married to the wrong photos. If you start using the photos in Monograph 1, you will led way off the beaten path. The mismatches are especially prevalent for 1859, 1881, 1886, 1887, 1888, 1893, 1895 and later, but there are mismatches for every date and type of variety.
Bill in Burl

gidjit

Post by gidjit » Sun Mar 04, 2018 4:51 pm

bill is absolutely right i own most of the charltons books with variety sections in the back and m favorite is the 2011 65th ed with large cent vicky varieties, i have learned so much from this book it has actually made me money!
click this link to see my ongoing collection of canada large cents and their varieties
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 4b87156114

Kopper Ken

Post by Kopper Ken » Fri Mar 09, 2018 8:18 pm

Thank you to all for the suggestions. Will look into the Haxby and Charlton references. I have the 2015 Charlton which has the Chinese :Chinois: counterfeit section at the back. I did enjoy that reading a lot and therefore I am excited to get other volumes. Perhaps they'll publish them as a separate cat.

Thanks again. :lol:

KK

freeqgirl

Post by freeqgirl » Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:06 am

I am in the states and have scoured every resource I can think of, including ebay, half priced books and other used book seller sites and I cannot locate a copy of any of Hans Zoell's books. Its like burning the haystack to the ground to find the needle, only to find that the haystack was sitting on a huge pile of needles to begin with and finding that ONE is never going to happen. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Hitting up the Library of Congress or libraries in US or Canada that do have them, is not feasible. :Prier:

Bill in Burl

Post by Bill in Burl » Thu Dec 13, 2018 4:25 pm

Keep checking Abebooks for the Zoell books ... just keep looking since I know that they are pretty hard to find
Bill in Burl

bookman

Post by bookman » Mon Mar 04, 2019 7:10 pm

Hello all, I am a numismatic book dealer and have been for a number of years. I have a group of the Zoells in stock. If anyone is interested, I can supply the titles.