1932 1 cent flawed planchet

verdigris

1932 1 cent flawed planchet

Post by verdigris » Sat Feb 16, 2013 12:48 pm

Very similar to one found on this website; perhaps even from the same batch of planchets: 1 cent 1932 - Flaw planchet above DEI (Image #1588)

A word of warning to overly curious collectors like myself... Don't probe, pick at, or rub these things! The date had a bit of bright green verdigris in the 9, which I disolved away using acetone and a Q-tip. Thinking that worked quite well, I proceeded to remove the greasy dirt that had accumulated around the obverse flaws. Not a good idea. Several cotton threads became lodged under the larger piece and when I tried pushing them out the whole thing lifted like a trap door :shock: — I thought I'd broken it off but got lucky and was able to push it down again, although I doubt it placed itself perfectly between the R and G as it had been.

In the close-up you can see an area to the right, above and between the G and I, that — now knowing how fragile these little flaps of folded metal are — in all likelihood had originally seated an even larger chunk of coin which broke off in circulation. Cheers