1898H High or Low H?

CDNMace

1898H High or Low H?

Post by CDNMace » Tue Feb 04, 2014 1:14 pm

Wasn't certain if the top cross of the H had to be buried under the leaf like on my other one, or just touching to be a 'High H'?

This one touched but isn't buried.

High H or low H?

Cheers.

Bill in Burl

Re: 1898H High or Low H?

Post by Bill in Burl » Tue Feb 04, 2014 5:44 pm

There are everyplace H's .. high, low, left, right. The H was handpunched into the working dies, so there is a different position for each die. At about 50-70,000 coins per reverse die, do the calculation. There's no such thing as a high or low H .. how high, how low?
Last edited by Bill in Burl on Wed Feb 05, 2014 5:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bill in Burl

CDNMace

Post by CDNMace » Tue Feb 04, 2014 8:08 pm

Bill in Burl wrote:There are everyplace H's .. high, low, left, right. The H was handpunched into the working dies, so there is a different position for each die. At about 70-80,000 coins per reverse die, do the calculation. There's no such thing as a high or low H .. how high, how low?

May want to tell CaC that one too, Bill (as with the other LC that you, rightfully, corrected them on). They are the ones with that listed -- that's where my info came from. NGC doesn't have any varieties listed. My other one has almost half of the H buried under the leaf, so it seemed feasible. Learn something new everyday.

I've seen 'High/Low H' written elsewhere, but can't remember where that was? The observe of this one is in really good condition, so it's a keeper.

Cheers, Bill.

Steve

CDNMace

Post by CDNMace » Tue Feb 04, 2014 8:20 pm

Here's a question, Bill...

Why does the T in CENT seem so far to the right on this one? I put in the observe just to show it to you.

Bill in Burl

Post by Bill in Burl » Wed Feb 05, 2014 4:57 am

For the 'T', that's just the way that the design is ... the same with all the reverses leading up to it. It centers the big "lump" of wording so that it's all centered. The same thing is going on with the E in One. Look at every '96 and '97 .. they are all the same. There is no way that any single working die can have something elementrially different than others, because the hub is making the working die and the master/matrix is making the hubs. You can have repunched letters showing on coins, but not a clean, uncorrected working die striking the coins.
Bill in Burl

Bill in Burl

Post by Bill in Burl » Wed Feb 05, 2014 5:11 am

CdnMace wrote:

"May want to tell CaC that one too, Bill (as with the other LC that you, rightfully, corrected them on). They are the ones with that listed -- that's where my info came from. NGC doesn't have any varieties listed. My other one has almost half of the H buried under the leaf, so it seemed feasible. Learn something new everyday."

Yes, I had to correct them on the 1882 H/H, which is not a variety but rather it's normal ... ALL 1882's had an H/H; just some don't show well. It's been removed now. I'm not sure who vetts or proofs what CaC puts in their variety section, but it's obvious that they don't do much of a job. If you really want to know and understand Large Cent varieties, you have to pick up Rob Turner's "Dies and Diadems" after first purchasing his 1858 Provincial Large Cent Book, which will explain the entire minting process and history behind Canadain coinage. I have for years, on all the coin sites, told people that the first $200 that you spend in numismatics should be on books ... those two will set you back about that much but you'll be so much wiser once you buy your Charlton's every year.

I will send an email to the "powers that be" here on CaC and get them to retract or correct or update their listings. As a whole, it is really pretty good, but it really gets under my skin when bad scooby is put out to collectors, especially newbies. I think that CaC takes suggestions/submissions from other newbies who think that they have found the holy grail when one coin doesn't look like the next .. they just havn't done any research before they start typing. I personally don't use the "coins" listings here on this site other than a 'general reference', but I do recommend newbies to look at the list and use the rpicing to get an idea of what may be harder to find than another. I find the pricings & ID's here frequently not entirely correct, but it DOES function as one input into the many that are needed before any coin decision should be made. Thanks for the heads up on the '98 .. I'll send the email.
Bill in Burl