two more errors/varieties

coinme

two more errors/varieties

Post by coinme » Wed May 21, 2014 11:17 pm

Found this on the same coin. One side looks like a die crack on the leaf and the other side has some lines on the beads. Any thoughts? Still trying to wrap my brain around the error or variety thing. What would these be considered? Thanks in advance.

Bill in Burl

Re: two more errors/varieties

Post by Bill in Burl » Thu May 22, 2014 5:45 am

You are only going to find die cracks on the field (or flat surface) of the coin..... that's also where you will find clashes. Anything in the design elements of the coin are caused by something else. To cause something raised (in relief) you have to have a corresponding incuse (recessed) portion on the die. Dies are made from hubs( punch that looks like the coin) ... hubs make the dies and dies make the coins. For you to have a raised portion on a design element of the coin, a corresponding incuse mark must be on die (like scratches, tool marks, clashes, etc do to the field) in the recessed portion. A tool mark normally can't get into the design element of the die, so something probably was on the hub in that locale that was struck into the die .. maybe a small piece of wire, dirt, grime, even cloth fibers can do it.

I am not a person to comment on bright, shiny things, since I collect nothing after WWI and it's nearly impossible to see what's going on with a computer photo of shiny objects. Everything that I've talked about in this and abswers to your other posts are errors .. very minor ones, but errors just the same as most are stuill probably within manufacturing tolerances
Bill in Burl

coinme

Re: two more errors/varieties

Post by coinme » Thu May 22, 2014 10:36 am

Thanks again for your insight. I do appreciate it.