1974 Canadian pennies, clipped and?

Allan T

1974 Canadian pennies, clipped and?

Post by Allan T » Sun Nov 01, 2020 12:53 am

These coins obviously must be predominately clipped pennies - at least one must fall under another category?
Coins and Canada does not show values for various grades for this type of coin, right? One would need to check to determine what might be available on Ebay, I suspect.

Are these scans of sufficient quality that anyone might express opinion as to grade? Presumably the grade has the same significance on the value of error coins as with regular coins? Should scans be limited to only 1 coin?

Thanks for consideration.

Allan T
Scan_20201031 (4).png
Scan_20201031 (4).png (1.34 MiB) Viewed 5147 times
Scan_20201031.png
Scan_20201031.png (1.14 MiB) Viewed 5147 times

Bill in Burl

Re: 1974 Canadian pennies, clipped and?

Post by Bill in Burl » Sun Nov 01, 2020 7:20 am

Well, we'll let spp chime in on this one, since he's the error guru, especially clips.
Bill in Burl

Allan T

Post by Allan T » Wed Nov 04, 2020 7:40 pm

Thanks for the acknowledgement, Bill from Burl - feel a little blue about no comments.

Allan T.

momomomo

Post by momomomo » Fri Nov 06, 2020 8:23 am

...and off center! I like the double clipped one.

Bill in Burl

Post by Bill in Burl » Sat Nov 07, 2020 8:20 am

This particular discussion site gets very little traffic and many gurus or authorities don't frequent this place. I would suggest that you post your thread and images on Coin Community Family (CCF) in this Canadian section:
https://www.coincommunity.com/forum/for ... RUM_ID=139

I think that you will get 3-4 responses very quickly and some good guys to exchange ideas with.
Bill in Burl

Allan T

Post by Allan T » Sun Nov 08, 2020 12:09 am

I sincerely appreciate the responses, momomomo and Bill in Burl. Thank you for the prompt to a site you feel might generate a bit more interest, Bill - I'll try to see if I can navigate the prompt over the next day or two.

Dave B

Post by Dave B » Wed Nov 25, 2020 10:07 pm

Alan T
I have several clipped coins as well. I don't really have an opinion about them and trust Bill from Burl has referred to the expert and eventually we will get some feedback if you haven't already. I have the same question about condition (grades) although this site has an excellent tutorial on grades. I suspect that photographing one coin at a time (both sides) which I just recently learned, makes perfect sense if anyone is interested in grading...I have to be more vigilant about taking the coins out of the flips, dusting them off (not cleaning) and then take the photo.
P.S. I hope the person or persons managing this site do not get too over stressed by (at times) the "apparent" lack of interest. I expect with C-19, social distancing etc.etc. more people will be seeking coin information over the next few months...Thanks Dave B

SPP-Ottawa

Post by SPP-Ottawa » Wed Dec 16, 2020 10:26 pm

The value of error coins depends mainly on the "wow factor" of the error, with grade being a secondary consideration. Generally, if the error is mint state (BU) and with good colour (for a 1-cent) then the price really does not matter much whether it is a MS-60 or MS-64. Generally, with clips:

- the larger the clip, the more valuable it is, clips more than 25% of the coin are very uncommon
- straight clips are less common (and worth more) than curved clips
- double clips are worth more than single clips, especially if the clipped areas are of significant different sizes, or if the clips are overlapping (next to each other), or a combination of curved and straight clips.
- triple clips are quite scarce

Off-centres are generally worth more than most clipped coins. Off-centres can be partial collar or broadstruck, and the value depends on how much off centre the coin is struck. Anything more than 35% off-centre is quite desirable.

Of the coins I see posted, the two on the left side are the most important in terms of error value. The off-centre and multiple clipped coin with the large clip. The top centre coin is interesting, it is hard to tell from the photos, but it might be a straight clip with a curved clip.

I hope that helps.

Bill in Burl

Post by Bill in Burl » Thu Dec 17, 2020 8:59 am

AlanT .... well the penny error guru that I asked, gave you the answers that I think you wanted (SPP). It was just a little later than I expected. There are a number of written references that are available. Do an internet search for them.
Bill in Burl

Allan T

Post by Allan T » Fri Dec 18, 2020 3:33 pm

Thanks very much, SPP - almost missed your informative and helpful post. I guess if I hope to arrive at a personal idea of the value of any one or of all of the coins I'd better see if I can track any For Sale, better yet Sold transaction posts on E-Bay.

I was hoping the grade of error coins would have some significance, I believe these coins to be in pretty nice condition.

Bill in Burl, I am very impressed that you always seem to be quickly on the scene and always willing to offer opinions or helpful advice.

I do offer my sincere thanks to both of you.