1946 nickel - double 6, double 4 and die break?

VancouverSilver

1946 nickel - double 6, double 4 and die break?

Post by VancouverSilver » Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:44 pm

I am relatively new to coin collecting and have been slowly going through my inheritance. I became familiar with the 1946 Canadian nickel with the 6/6 variety and actually contributed a photo to this forum here at http://www.coinsandcanada.com/coins-pri ... -1937-1952

After subsequent review, I noticed that in addition to the double 6, the 4 also seems to be a double. You can see this closely by looking at the photo at the URL above.

I have also found a few that are like both the arrowhead and the plug 6 variety described on that page. I am wondering what the difference is. I have the weird shape in the 6 but am unsure if there is a difference between the plug 6 and the arrowhead. they appear to be identical.

In addition to this, there appears to be a very pronounced die clash under the 6. I am curious to know if anyone knows if this is a common occurrence?

Last but not least, I have a few extras of this variety and would be willing to trade if anyone is seeking those items. please let me know offlist at duane at nickull dot net and what you have of interest to trade. I am specifically seeking some higher grade silver and old pennies to complete my years. Am interested in any trades.

DN

Lightw4re
Site Admin

Re: 1946 nickel - double 6, double 4 and die break?

Post by Lightw4re » Fri Jun 28, 2013 8:02 am

The arrowhead variety is a die clash. It's not impossible to see other clash marks on that coin. Plug 6 / Arrowhead is the same. Zoell #P176p.