1874 H Crosslet-4 5 Cents: Double stamped, inverted.

CDNMace

Re: 1874 H Crosslet-4 5 Cents: Double stamped, inverted.

Post by CDNMace » Thu Nov 07, 2013 7:12 pm

Bill in Burl wrote:There are many type errors that are one of a kind...... it's varieties that there have to be any 'number-of' to get certified. Jeff didn't know what year/date the other coin similar to it actually was.... he was explaining that it probably IS a one-of-a-kind. If you were in Canada, I'd say send it to CCCS, who certify more type varieties and errors than any other TPG. It will cost a pretty penny to have a "one-of" coin certified in a hard slab. I would send it to NGC (or any other TPG) with the proviso that if they won't certify the 'double-struck', then don't certify it at all and send it back ... you don't want to spend nearly $100 to have an F 5 cent silver put in a slab. Or, you can just put it in a 2X2 and write what you've learned about. You know what it is and an experienced eror collector will know as well .. why get anyone else's opinion on what it is. You are just paying for an opinion, cardboard and plastic

I fully understand that, Bill. I really do. My 2x2 is full of writing now.

I joined NGC for the novelty, at first. But then realized that today, that otherwise meaningless piece of plastic does add value. But, the flip side, can also decrease value; depending on the coin etc. I feel in this case if I ever did wish to see what it would garner at auction (a REAL auction, if applicable) ask a pro what they thought the potential value is, encased would be beneficial. I do have some yet to be used coupons from NGC, so...? I've already had an offer for it, which that too, was novel. And one in which I politely declined with a, "It's not currently for sale."

I think I have some questions to sleep on about what to do next. Then again, if in the event I do sell... I could always go on eBay and make $15,000.00... or $1.99. Ha-ha.

Bill in Burl

Post by Bill in Burl » Thu Nov 07, 2013 7:54 pm

A TPG certification does not add value.... the coin is worth the same, holstered or unholstered. What TPG plastic does do, however, is greatly increase the number of your potential buyer pool. A TPG normally will allow people to bid on something sight unseen with a little more confidence. But, with the coin in hand or at an auction preview, it would be worth the same to an experienced collector, plastic or no plastic. Depending on what it may be worth, many people spend more on the certification than any profit the coin may actually turn and actually lose money. With mailing, insurance and error cert cost, you may be looking at nearly $100. If the coin sells for $500 or so, then you are all right ... if less, then not so good.
Bill in Burl

CDNMace

Post by CDNMace » Wed Nov 13, 2013 6:36 pm

Bill in Burl wrote:A TPG certification does not add value.... the coin is worth the same, holstered or unholstered. What TPG plastic does do, however, is greatly increase the number of your potential buyer pool. A TPG normally will allow people to bid on something sight unseen with a little more confidence. But, with the coin in hand or at an auction preview, it would be worth the same to an experienced collector, plastic or no plastic. Depending on what it may be worth, many people spend more on the certification than any profit the coin may actually turn and actually lose money. With mailing, insurance and error cert cost, you may be looking at nearly $100. If the coin sells for $500 or so, then you are all right ... if less, then not so good.

I wound up utilizing my coupons. Standard 5-coin rule. 4 are error coins, the other just an AU+ 1919 quarter, for me. Total cost, all factors included (insurance, postage, NGC 'extras') $92. I filled out MS and error for all 4 of them, apposed to NGC's 'VarietyPlus'. Now second guessing that. But c'est la vie... what's done is done.

Now, I wait! :?

CDNMace

Post by CDNMace » Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:59 am

NGC graded it 'Good Details/Rev. Damage'.

Not a happy camper this morning.

verdigris

Post by verdigris » Wed Nov 27, 2013 9:24 pm

CDNMace wrote:NGC graded it 'Good Details/Rev. Damage'.

I dont get it. Is Good Details a G-4 or simply a comment? And this reverse damage of which they speak ... Is NGC saying that the rev. of another coin left a heavy impression on this planchet before it was struck and that's the damage?

Cheers

CDNMace

Post by CDNMace » Thu Nov 28, 2013 7:00 am

verdigris wrote:
CDNMace wrote:NGC graded it 'Good Details/Rev. Damage'.

I dont get it. Is Good Details a G-4 or simply a comment? And this reverse damage of which they speak ... Is NGC saying that the rev. of another coin left a heavy impression on this planchet before it was struck and that's the damage?

Cheers

Hi Rod,

I'm going on the comments online for those coins in my account. I submitted the standard five coins, four of which were submitted as errors. They all have grades (See below)(Exception being the non-error 1919 25c).

Not one comment/note regarding errors. I then went to my bank account and noted they only charged me half of what I'd filled out on the submission form. So that was odd. I called (and I must stress, they are VERY nice at NGC), but the error guy had already left for the American Thanksgiving holiday. I asked why no error comments were showing up, and why the bill seemed to have the additional error fees removed. The lady wasn't sure, across the board. It was my first submission to NGC, so, perhaps I'm jumping the gun; but it seems all rather odd to me. I knew the 1874 C4 wouldn't grade high, but I didn't much care about that. I'll be ticked off if I wind up with just a grade on that. Being a good Canadian though, the bright side, the rest graded much higher than I thought. :-)

Plus, just for 'extra fun', I suppose I get to keep guessing which obverse the 1881H 10 Cents is. haha

Will keep you posted. They're on their way back. Should have them in hand by Monday or Tuesday.

Cheers.

Steve

CDNMace

Post by CDNMace » Tue Dec 03, 2013 5:38 pm

Update: They simply didn't check them for errors. Nice.

(Submission form was filled out correctly, and appropriate funds submitted).

Off to Fed/Ex to send them back.

Not amused. :x