1870 5 Cents -- Double Letters, Die Cracks/Breaks

CDNMace

1870 5 Cents -- Double Letters, Die Cracks/Breaks

Post by CDNMace » Tue Dec 31, 2013 5:56 pm

Saved this from the smelter. Don't know if this is a flat/wide/raised... rim or how that's determined though? Or what exactly it's called. Different publications call it different things. None seem to have photos. I'm going to take a stab and say VG(ish) wide rim.

I'm pretty happy with it. I should submit it to an American TPG so they can tell me the errors aren't "substantial enough". haha

verdigris

Re: 1870 5 Cents -- Double Letters, Die Cracks/Breaks

Post by verdigris » Wed Jan 01, 2014 8:51 pm

Flat rim or raised rim? Yours is definately a flat (wide) rim/edge. The "raised-rim 1870" has short denticals and the width of the rim is much narrower than the "flat-rim".
The problem with these terms is that a "wide rim" will have a "raised rim" at the extreme edge before the coin has worn too far. You can still see it on yours. Once the coin has reached VG grade or there abouts, that lip will have usually disappeared leaving only a flat, smooth, wide rim with long denticals. You can see this happening best on your obverse. IMHO the more perfectly centred that the coin is struck, the longer this lip will remain, whereas coins struck off-centre appear to wear faster at the rim.

Die cracks seem common with these early 5c silvers. All of mine from '58 to '71 have multiple leaf-to-rim cracks. Like yours, a couple have die cracks so wide as to be seen with the naked eye.

Nice coin you've found there Ace. I'd give it a VG-10.

Cheers

CDNMace

Re: 1870 5 Cents -- Double Letters, Die Cracks/Breaks

Post by CDNMace » Thu Jan 02, 2014 6:49 pm

verdigris wrote:Flat rim or raised rim? Yours is definately a flat (wide) rim/edge. The "raised-rim 1870" has short denticals and the width of the rim is much narrower than the "flat-rim".

Nice coin you've found there Ace. I'd give it a VG-10.

Cheers

Cheers, Rod. That is the best description I've read thus far on the variety. Much appreciated. And totally agree. I don't think I have many without those cracks.

So to update it in the 'whole' 48hrs since posting this... and because I am a rational (haha) person who thinks things out... I submitted it. Not for the cracks, but for that 7. That is 100%, no question, no debate, a repunch of some kind. But I don't think it's another 7 simply because of the width... but what do I know, eh? haha I can't find anything, anywhere on the 7 of the 1870, which is a bummer.

I had some US coins I was submitting for MS grading, and a 1913-P Type I Buffalo with about a 45 degree rotation and die clash to submit; but my 1871 50 Cent Victoria with the repunched C was needling at me. So off I went to the World Coin submission form after. Sent that 1870, another 1870, an 1858 SD (last two, polished as all get out, not by me). Might be Fs. But cracked dies and repunches -- will likely come back F-Polished, aaaaand that's about it haha. An 1937 Dot (yeah, likely a HUGE waste of money, but I'll never know if it's over MS65 unless I try). And a 1902H 10c for MS. We'll see what happens.

Seen your post about Newfies. I dig 'em. Have a few. Vicky 20c, and 10c. And 40's coins. Need to make finding some quality ones my next project.

Sorry, coffee fueled response.

Thanks again, Rod.

Steve