1975 dime - broadstrike ?

coindabbler

1975 dime - broadstrike ?

Post by coindabbler » Fri Apr 19, 2013 9:47 am

Found a 1975 Canada dime in my change. I noticed it because of it's thickness.

The edge is 1.88 mm thick compared to the normal 1.16 mm, diameter 17.03 mm.
There are no reeds on the edge.
The beads on both sides disappear, coin struck slightly off center.

I tried to find similar to get a approximate value, if any.

Any suggestions?

Thanx. David

Last edited by coindabbler on Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.

willbrooks

Re: 1975 dime - broadstrike ?

Post by willbrooks » Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:26 pm

A broadstrike is a coin struck outside the collar and would result in a coin with a larger diameter, not thickness. If anything the rim would be thinner than normal, not thicker. In order to give further assistance, I would need to see some photos.

coindabbler

Post by coindabbler » Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:57 pm

added pictures
Thanc
David

Lightw4re
Site Admin

Post by Lightw4re » Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:37 am

Looks like a modified ring around the coin. To me, it's no a RCM production error.

coindabbler

Post by coindabbler » Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:02 am

Thanks for the modified comment, I can see the reeds being 'machined or ground off', but how do you make the edge thicker?

willbrooks

Post by willbrooks » Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:50 am

Much better. Thanks for adding the photos. What you have here is a coin that was "spooned." The outer rim was struck repeatedly (usually with the back of a spoon) in an attempt to turn the coin into a ring. After the rim is flattened out sufficiently, the center is usually bored out. Of course, a dime is too small to really do this, unless it for a child. I'll bet you will find it is a liitle smaller in diameter than normal because of the damage. This is why you don not see the beads. Whatever the intention was for someone doing this, you can be sure that this coin was DEFINITELY damaged outside of the mint, and therefore has no additional value. It is not a finned rim error! Cheers,
Will

verdigris

Post by verdigris » Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:56 am

Will,
Your explanation makes a lot of sense and I certainly don't have a better suggestion to what caused this. However, why make a ring of nickel and not silver? Seems like a big waste of time and effort to hammer the rim smooth on a 1975 dime for not.

Cheers

willbrooks

Post by willbrooks » Fri Apr 26, 2013 3:48 pm

verdigris wrote:Will,
Your explanation makes a lot of sense and I certainly don't have a better suggestion to what caused this. However, why make a ring of nickel and not silver? Seems like a big waste of time and effort to hammer the rim smooth on a 1975 dime for not.

Cheers

Good question, and you are correct. Usually these "spooned coins" ARE made from silver coins and something larger that can be worn on a finger when completed. Maybe some other plan was in the works here. I just recognize the spooning process from seeing it many times before. It doesn't make sense that they used a modern dime here. Nobody can ever be certain what people's motivations are for intentionally damaging coins. I can only assure you that this coin's rim was beaten the entire way around with an object causing the damage seen. Just do an internet image search for "spooned coin" and you will see a million of them that look the same.

verdigris

Post by verdigris » Sat Apr 27, 2013 2:00 am

Will,
Thanks for suggesting to read up on spooning. :Rechercher:

There's been enough talk of them in other coin forums that I think I know what's going here. This isn't spooned by hand, but in a dryer or water pump. Notice that it's uniformly battered rev and obv which wouldn't be the case if the rim was purposely "spooned". What threw me off, is that this dime isn't exactly what I expect to see from a dryer coin, but perhaps it was rolling a lot more than it was tumbling against protrusions inside whatever the coin was in. That, and the point you made of it being too small to be a ring. Plus... it's nickel; damn hard.

I have a 1977 low 7 nickel that I found roll searching a couple of months ago. I can't even imagine how many hits it took in wherever it was in. I'll post pics when I get a chance over the weekend-- it'll put this '75 to shame :D

Cheers

verdigris

One tough beaver

Post by verdigris » Sat Apr 27, 2013 2:13 pm

I didn't measure, but the diameter of this coin is slightly less than a normal nickel, and in fact thinner at the rim as well. -- Cheers

willbrooks

Post by willbrooks » Sat Apr 27, 2013 10:29 pm

Wow, that beaver took a serious beating! Lol.

Great point.
I agree with you that since nickel is significantly harder than silver, that it makes sense that both heat AND repeated impact may have been involved, or else just more patience in the beating. Like I said, I am only certain of one thing: it is damage. The how and why will always be a mystery!

Cheers,
Will

coindabbler

Post by coindabbler » Sun Apr 28, 2013 12:09 pm

Thanx to all, I never heard of spooning. Glad I joined, this site will be quite educational.

David