Is this coin rare??

theeeeeking

Is this coin rare??

Post by theeeeeking » Sat Apr 14, 2012 2:41 pm

I have a canadian quarter that has a raised oval clear coating on the top. I have never seen another coin like this one. It would be hard to catch in a picture but you would definetly notice the difference from other coins when looking or feeling the coin.
Thanks for any input on this.

Bill in Burl

Re: Is this coin rare??

Post by Bill in Burl » Sat Apr 14, 2012 5:02 pm

Without a picture, it's hard to tell what you are talking about. It could be lacquer, it could be bees wax .. who knows. try a scan or a pic. B
Bill in Burl

theeeeeking

Post by theeeeeking » Sat Apr 14, 2012 5:20 pm

thx bill.....is the lacquer andor bees wax part of the final processing? I think it's the final proctective coating that they do to it. Which on all coins is a thin layer but you can still feel the imprint on the coin. On mine this is a oval cover of that coating. Not sure a pic will pick it up. Can try but doubt it. Based on what I described...could this add value to the coin?

Bill in Burl

Post by Bill in Burl » Sun Apr 15, 2012 3:27 am

No, any coating applied was post-mint and, if it as described (an oval & thick) it would detract from the price, not enhance it. Try to get a picture of it .. it should show up. There is no "coating" applied at the mint .. there is a final wash to remove any contaminants, but no coatings.
Bill in Burl

theeeeeking

Post by theeeeeking » Sun Apr 15, 2012 12:03 pm

thx again for answering my question. sounds as if this was post mint. so no reason to take any pics or inquire any further. thx again. just thought i would ask because it is rare to see a coin like this.