1812 red maple leaf offset

michael

1812 red maple leaf offset

Post by michael » Wed Dec 11, 2013 7:27 pm

I have one of the War of 1812 quarters (Salaberry) that have the maple leaf in red colouring, the red that was printed onto the leaf is a little offset so it isn't in the outline of the leaf. (very slightly) Is that considered a valuable misprint?

verdigris

Re: 1812 red maple leaf offset

Post by verdigris » Sat Dec 14, 2013 12:51 pm

Is that considered a valuable misprint?

Does instantly disolving away the ink on coloured coins with acetone lessen their value? I'll just say it came from the mint unprinted. A rarity! Double the value!

Seriously... as a printer for over thirty-five years I snicker at the quality of printing on all the coloured coins; especially the 4-colour process and multi-colour spot colour coins of which I have yet to see a specimen printed in perfect registration. Therefore, imho, the only coloured coins that should logically command a premium would be perfectly printed examples. If you can find one...

On the other hand, if you can find something scare, the quality of the printing should matter little. We have to consider that when it comes to printing on coins the learning curve for the RCM has been steep and will continue to remain so until the technology is in some way taken to the next level. Whatever and whenever that may be. Case in point, http://www.coinsandcanada.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=5624

Cheers