1967 Canada 'flying goose' dollar,possibly a rotated die.

Hot Brass

1967 Canada 'flying goose' dollar,possibly a rotated die.

Post by Hot Brass » Fri May 31, 2013 8:30 pm

I have a 1967 "flying goose" silver dollar that may be a rotated die version,possibly 10 degrees,maybe less. How can I accurately say whether it's 10 degree rotation or less.....obviously more rotation would be easier to see,but how can I place the obverse effigy in such a position so that I can rotate the coin to see exactly whether the goose is flying or diving? I could maybe use a clear material (glass) and tape the coin to it,where the head position is supposed to be and then look on the other side to see what position the goose is.....but still not sure about the 'starting point' as to where the head position is supposed to be?? Possibly using her chin bottom and line that up horizontal then see where the goose is in relation to the head? How do you check?Thanks,Hot Brass
#1 holder is the suspected die rotation.

la cenne

Re: 1967 Canada 'flying goose' dollar,possibly a rotated die

Post by la cenne » Sat Jun 01, 2013 8:03 am

Just use a cardboard flip and mark the axes H and V before placing the coin iand aligning the obverse and stapling the flip. You should be able to measure the angle.

Hot Brass

Post by Hot Brass » Sat Jun 01, 2013 8:47 am

la cenne wrote:Just use a cardboard flip and mark the axes H and V before placing the coin iand aligning the obverse and stapling the flip. You should be able to measure the angle.

Not sure I follow?? How do I know the which way the obverse(head) is supposed to be orientated in the 'correct' position?. The "true" diving goose is at a 45 degree angle,so that's easy to spot,but 10 degress or less is hard to see if the obverse is not in the proper 'position" to begin with,I think? Thanks,Hot Brass

jello

Post by jello » Sat Jun 01, 2013 10:53 am

Nice :D
old school

verdigris

Post by verdigris » Sat Jun 01, 2013 12:46 pm

Brass,
I think if you draw a line across the top of the C and 7 [CANADA 1867-1967], that will give you the reverse baseline. On the obverse, draw a horizontal baseline between the bottom edge of the E [ELIZABETH] and the A [REGINA]. You should then be able to accurately measure the difference with a protractor.

Cheers

Hot Brass

Post by Hot Brass » Sat Jun 01, 2013 3:08 pm

verdigris wrote:Brass,
I think if you draw a line across the top of the C and 7 [CANADA 1867-1967], that will give you the reverse baseline. On the obverse, draw a horizontal baseline between the bottom edge of the E [ELIZABETH] and the A [REGINA]. You should then be able to accurately measure the difference with a protractor.

Cheers

Thanks! I get 2 degrees on the obverse and 10 degrees on the reverse....so,I have an 8 degree die rotation(10-2=8?).
How many of the under 45 degree versions of the flying goose are out there, do you figure.... and what angles?.
How much value does a die rotation of less than 45 degrees have as opposed to the "regular",non-rotation version?Thanks, HB

verdigris

Post by verdigris » Sun Jun 02, 2013 12:18 pm

Thanks! I get 2 degrees on the obverse and 10 degrees on the reverse....so,I have an 8 degree die rotation(10-2=8?).
How many of the under 45 degree versions of the flying goose are out there, do you figure.... and what angles?.

8 degrees sounds about right.

Otherwise, I don't have answers to your questions but I did notice in upgrading my nickels that the 1966, 1968 and 1969 that I'd booked were all "diving beavers" :shock:

That is to say, all of these were collected by chance and all reverses are randomly rotated left at angles from about (guessing) 10 to 30 degrees. Make of it what you will.

Cheers

Hot Brass

Post by Hot Brass » Sun Jun 02, 2013 5:41 pm

verdigris wrote:

8 degrees sounds about right.

Otherwise, I don't have answers to your questions but I did notice in upgrading my nickels that the 1966, 1968 and 1969 that I'd booked were all "diving beavers" :shock:

That is to say, all of these were collected by chance and all reverses are randomly rotated left at angles from about (guessing) 10 to 30 degrees. Make of it what you will.

Cheers

Thanks,HB