$2 Loonie planchet Toonie from 1996?

Darkstrike

$2 Loonie planchet Toonie from 1996?

Post by Darkstrike » Thu Nov 10, 2016 9:55 am

Hey all - new here!

Just found your site from some searching. I purchased this toonie for a $2 exchange out of our work till last night as I knew it was unique and I casually collect coins every so often that are odd or foreign. I came across information on it on your website last night during a cursory search after I got home! :)

It seems to match the description of a $2 Wrong Planchet Toonie on a Loonie Planchet as it is one piece, all gold, and stamped as being from 1996.

The Polar Bear and Queen are both poorly defined and the edge around where the middle 'gold' piece would usually go is not straight and also poorly defined in placed. The smoothness on the Bear and Queen COULD be wear from circulation, but maybe also from a poor strike? I am not sure.

The edging around the coin features the lined, smooth, lined, smooth pattern. I don't have a caliper to properly measure the thickness. Not sure of its weight either as I don't have anything to weigh it with - please find two pics of the coin here from both sides and pardon the poor picture quality, haha!

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0ByOO06teP37MYUFUYXBjblVZSDg

It's quite shiny, otherwise and seems to be in decent shape for the most part - some scratches here and there, especially on the edge in a spot or two. Ignore the red tinge in the pics, that's the reflection of my camera on the coin (it has a red body).

Any help would be appreciated! It sure seems similar to me - what would be the best method to get it verified and certified? I live way out here in Nova Scotia, so not sure if there is anybody here who could do the verification/certification near me!

Cheers and thanks! :)

coinguy

Re: $2 Loonie planchet Toonie from 1996?

Post by coinguy » Thu Nov 10, 2016 8:00 pm

Hi Darkstrike-
Very nice and rare find.
From what I can see, you have a Toonie that was struck on a Loonie planchet.
That is the 3rd one that I have seen. (One was in BC so I guess they travelled coast to coast.)
The "smoothness" was caused by a weak strike on a thinner and smaller diameter planchet.
I would suggest getting it certified as to verify it as an error and increase the value.

There are some members on this site from the East Coast who may be able to help you as to
someone in your area who can help.

coinguy

Darkstrike

Post by Darkstrike » Thu Nov 10, 2016 10:21 pm

Thanks sir! I look forward to hearing from them perhaps! :D

Bill in Burl

Post by Bill in Burl » Sat Nov 12, 2016 6:28 am

What is the exact weight of the coin .. any jewelry store can tell you, or a coin store. Also is the entire coin or any part of it magnetic (the core different than the ring)?
Bill in Burl

Darkstrike

Post by Darkstrike » Sat Nov 12, 2016 8:44 am

Hi upon closer inspection - the core must be a different metal than the ring as it looks to MAYBE be a different shade of gold. The telling thing, though, is that the ring is magnetic, but the core doesn't seem to be (at least holding a small magnet up to it doesn't seem to be magnetic - the magnet seems to want to be pulled to the ring instead if I hold it on the core). Maybe it does have a Toonie core?

Not sure of the weight, but I will weigh it when I get to work today, they have a small scale there that measures in grams, though not sure how accurate it is.

Cheers!

coinguy

Post by coinguy » Sat Nov 12, 2016 9:11 am

Hi again Darkstrike-
When I said it was possibly a Toonie struck on a Loonie planchet, I was going by your statement of
it being a one piece coin. If as you say now that it may have a core, this eliminates any chance of it
being struck on a Loonie planchet. As the core of a Toonie is mainly copper, it would be non-magnetic.
What you probably have is a Toonie that someone has plated.

Darkstrike

Post by Darkstrike » Sat Nov 12, 2016 3:13 pm

Hi,

Weighed it here at work...scale here may not be super accurate, but it's saying 7.5-7.9 grams?

Bill in Burl

Post by Bill in Burl » Sat Nov 12, 2016 5:37 pm

The weight should be 7.3 so it seems to be, as stated by coinguy, that it is a regular toonie that has been plated. The core would be non-magnetic and the ring would be attracted to the magnet. The extra weigh is from the plating (probably brass).
Bill in Burl

Darkstrike

Post by Darkstrike » Sat Nov 12, 2016 6:20 pm

Ah, so played after the fact for no reason by somebody then? Unfortunate...not so special after all, but it does look neat!

Guess I can just spend it like a normal Toonie then! :)

The odd thing is, in the right light, the core does look to be a different color, so the core doesn't seem to have been plated...just the ring?