Are my coins a GOOD grade despite they were cleaned??

Post your pictures here if you want grades opinions.
Manonkitty

Are my coins a GOOD grade despite they were cleaned??

Post by Manonkitty » Tue Jul 30, 2013 6:09 pm

I had a few old coins from my mother when she passed, she had them from her second husband, who obviously, didn't keep them safe from environmental damage- they were TRULY UGLY! There was pits, dirt, tarnish, corrosion, you name them! The prints were barely visible - so AG probably. Cleaning them was the only way to give them their true potential!

Your feedbacks will be VERY helpful!

Here are the pics :)

Cheer,

Manonkitty
img]http://www.coinsandcanada.com/forum/class/test/IMG_0001_6.jpeg[/img]Image

Manonkitty

Re: Are my coins a GOOD grade despite they were cleaned??

Post by Manonkitty » Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:00 pm

By the way, pics were taken with the scanner - the light make coins look more tarnished I think.
Also, is it possible to remove more tarnish, especially on the 2 first ones???

Thanks,

Cheers :D

Manonkitty

Can Administrator or someone help with grading!

Post by Manonkitty » Wed Aug 07, 2013 3:12 pm

I previously posted my old coins for which I need an opinion....There's close to 50 viewers at this time and no reply...

Is anybody out there who may risk give me his/her opinion.

Thanks and cheers!

Manonkitty

Lightw4re
Site Admin

Post by Lightw4re » Thu Aug 08, 2013 7:24 am

The first two suffered from corrosion. And now that they are clean, you probably can sell that for 1$-2$ if you don't want to keep them.

The 1895 1-cent looks like nicer.

verdigris

Post by verdigris » Thu Aug 08, 2013 10:09 pm

Don't clean them anymore than you have already. There's nothing wrong with the tarnish on the GRV and VRI cents. Removing the patina will only devalue these coins and lessen their appeal.

Unless there is green corrosion on a copper coin there are few reasons to clean it. If it's filthy with gunk try a little water using your toothbrush (it will give you a good excuse to replace it as you've been meaning to). If there is glue or gummy substance present, soak in acetone.

Btw, IMHO both the large cents are VF... maybe the 1912 not quite.

Cheers

Bill in Burl

Post by Bill in Burl » Fri Aug 09, 2013 3:10 am

As long as you are going to keep them as a momento or keepsake, they are fiine but collector coins they are not. Once a coin has corrosion, especially common ones, it has very little collector value. Even though the Vicky and George large cents no longer have the green crud on them, they have been polished extensively and now just show pits where there is/was missing metal. Although wear-wise they would be VF, the corrosion takes them down into the polished F range. Give them to a young relative .. the story that accompanies the coin is worth far more than the coins themselves. The token, that must have lain buried for scores of years is nice to have just as an example. If it weren't so thick, those make good golf-ball markers. The 1927 commemorative, in bronze, was given out to every school kid in Canada for the King's visit. They are very very common in uncleaned condition, since they never circulated ... just kept in a drawer. You can pick up XF and above uncleaned ones in junk bins for a few dollars.
Bill in Burl

Manonkitty

Post by Manonkitty » Fri Aug 09, 2013 12:46 pm

A big thanks to you guys for your time and good advices - as well as your grading which is beyond what I thought!

I won't be cleaning them any further as I see they have more a historical value; now, I'll know what to tell my son when I pass them on to him!

Cheers,

Till the next time!