Canadian Mint Sets from 1961 - 1975 Where to find values?

Post your pictures here if you want grades opinions.
kimki1

Canadian Mint Sets from 1961 - 1975 Where to find values?

Post by kimki1 » Fri Aug 09, 2013 12:46 pm

Hi...new to coin collecting and have inherited these mint sets from my brother. They are all packaged in original clear plastic, are in excellent condition having been stored in a coin album since acquisition. I have tried looking on line for info re: valuation but I am not sure whether I should trust E-Bay prices...and have not found a site where valuations can be discerned. Any and all assistance would be greatly appreciated. The sets are as follows:
1961- full set, single dollar
1962- full set, single dollar
1963- full set single dollar
1964- full set, single dollar
1965 - full set, single dollar
1966- full set, single dollar
1967- full set, single dollar
1968 - full set, single dollar
1969 - full set, single dollar
1970 - full set, single dollar
1971 - full set, single dollar
1972 - full set, single dollar
1973 - full set, single dollar
1974- full set, single dollar
1975 - full set, single dollar

Also, does anyone know if there is a coin collecting group in the Niagara region? Thanks again.
Kimki1

Bill in Burl

Re: Canadian Mint Sets from 1961 - 1975 Where to find values

Post by Bill in Burl » Fri Aug 09, 2013 6:14 pm

Go to the library and pick up Charlton's, Vol 2. Volume 1 is for circulating coinage and Vol 2 is for RCM products, NCLT and other things not in common circulation. Vol 1 you can find about anywhere and, for your coins, you don't even need the latest year edition since most are billion value only .. although there are some varieties possible. Canadian Coin News (biweekly) usually has some larger dealer ads that have mint sets from time to time. The last I knew, there was a very active club in Niagara. I'm in Burlington.
Bill in Burl

kimki1

Post by kimki1 » Fri Aug 09, 2013 8:44 pm

Thanks Bill in Burl... will check those books out tomorrow and will look into the Niagara group as well.

Bill in Burl

Post by Bill in Burl » Sat Aug 10, 2013 4:03 am

FYI ... For the pre-68 silver coins, every face dollar contains .6 troy ounces of silver. With the current silver price around $20/oz, each face dollar is worth $12. Do not sell them for less than the scrap silver value. Most dealers will give you between 80-90% of scrap for circulated or slightly circulated coins ( a worn coin weighs less than new). Since yours are still in the mint packages, you should get no less than full scrap.... any varieties are big pluses. If you have some of the specific varieties of the 65, 66, 67 or '73, then we are talking somewhat more. If any have a cameo appearance, then it could also be more, depending on the degree of cameo. Since all your years are very common dates, regardless the denomination, the value of your sets is much more based on the fluctuating silver price than collector scarcity. By looking at Ebay "SOLD" prices realized (not the asking price), you should get a very good idea whether someone is giving you a fair, current price. Remember that any book, guide, or Trends price for any coin is the "full, retail value" or a price that a knowledgeable seller goes to a reliable buyer... you can't sell a coin to a book; you need a live person. The surest way to find what they are worth to the average Joe, is look for varieties/cameo and see what things have actually sold for on Ebay over the last few months.
Bill in Burl