1919 Five Cent

Post your pictures here if you want grades opinions.
CDNMace

1919 Five Cent

Post by CDNMace » Sat Jan 04, 2014 12:33 pm

Hi All,

Just trying to get some opinions on grade for this 1919 5 Cent.

I was going to list it for sale, but then I noticed of the 7M 1919's minted, 6.9M of them are currently listed on eBay. :lol:

Anyway, thanks for any and all opinions on this one.

Steve

verdigris

Re: 1919 Five Cent

Post by verdigris » Sat Jan 04, 2014 2:09 pm

Technically it's probably a VF but if this were in my book I'd label it F-18 and call it a day.

With no real problems, a couple months ago I might have made an offer on this coin--
It so happened that I replaced a dented rim 1919 for a relatively appealling F just to avoid upgrade anxiety. I'm sort of keeping an eye out for an AU or better, hoping to pick one up for a song. As you said, there's loads out there--and I just can't see myself trying to chase most of the upper midgrade GRV five cent silvers when I could be a lot happier improving on my Eddies and VRs.

Cheers

CDNMace

Post by CDNMace » Sat Jan 04, 2014 4:22 pm

verdigris wrote:Technically it's probably a VF but if this were in my book I'd label it F-18 and call it a day.

With no real problems, a couple months ago I might have made an offer on this coin--
It so happened that I replaced a dented rim 1919 for a relatively appealling F just to avoid upgrade anxiety. I'm sort of keeping an eye out for an AU or better, hoping to pick one up for a song. As you said, there's loads out there--and I just can't see myself trying to chase most of the upper midgrade GRV five cent silvers when I could be a lot happier improving on my Eddies and VRs.

Cheers

Hi Rod,

Thanks. I did notice the obverse photo I took was rather blurred and didn't capture the remaining detail. High points do have the wear that shows there, more or less, but took this with a 45x loupe as best I could. Still not capturing it the best, but may give you a better idea. I'm thinking VF+ going though 'the books' now. I dunno, I'll just see what you think. It just seems a whole hell of a lot better/nicer/stronger/faster (sorry, got lost there)... in hand. :?

By the way, like I said in my first post, this was marked to be sold until I seen that every 2nd coin on eBay Canada is a 1919 or 1920 5 cents.

So, the private message 'lines are open', as it were. (Even for trading).

Thanks again,

Steve

verdigris

Post by verdigris » Sat Jan 04, 2014 4:44 pm

IMO, even though the large jewels and both bands are present, the overall area is too blurred for me to consider it better than VF20. It's not so much soft circulation wear as there are hard abbrations on the high points especially to George's face.

I'm thinking that if this coin had been in circulation for another year than it was, the crown and curl of his cookie duster would be worn through in a big hurry. In other words, I don't think there's much time, or silver for that matter, separating it's present state from VG+.

Cheers

CDNMace

Post by CDNMace » Sat Jan 04, 2014 6:15 pm

verdigris wrote:IMO, even though the large jewels and both bands are present, the overall area is too blurred for me to consider it better than VF20. It's not so much soft circulation wear as there are hard abbrations on the high points especially to George's face.

I'm thinking that if this coin had been in circulation for another year than it was, the crown and curl of his cookie duster would be worn through in a big hurry. In other words, I don't think there's much time, or silver for that matter, separating it's present state from VG+.

Cheers

Much appreciated! That's what I was looking for. Thanks.