1874H-Crosslet 4

Post your pictures here if you want grades opinions.
CDNMace

1874H-Crosslet 4

Post by CDNMace » Sat Jan 04, 2014 11:51 pm

Just looking for some opinions on the grade of this 1874H Crosslet-4.

Was also wondering if anyone knows where I might be able to find any examples online of the 4/4? I can't seem to find any. There's something that stands out under the 4 on this piece. The photos are from different angles under a 45x. I can't decide if it's from a repunch or from wear.

If anyone knows any other indicators of what I should look for on a Crosslet 4 for the 4/4.

I added a photo of the incomplete H just for fun.

Thanks,

Steve

Bill in Burl

Re: 1874H-Crosslet 4

Post by Bill in Burl » Sun Jan 05, 2014 3:41 am

I don't know if Charlton had an annual issue with the 5 cent silvers in the variety section in the back. As far as I know, there are only the regular and the crosslet 4 and no 4/4, but I could very well be wrong. Your coin just looks like a crosslet.
Bill in Burl

CDNMace

Post by CDNMace » Sun Jan 05, 2014 10:28 am

Bill in Burl wrote:I don't know if Charlton had an annual issue with the 5 cent silvers in the variety section in the back. As far as I know, there are only the regular and the crosslet 4 and no 4/4, but I could very well be wrong. Your coin just looks like a crosslet.

Thanks Bill. I'll see if I can locate a Charlton with a fish scale section. CaC has it listed as a variety, but no photos or description; NGC and PCGS do not have it listed as a variety at all. I was primarily curious about what others thought of the grade of this one. I hadn't, until now, seen such a shade of purple on a fish scale yet; so that, to me, was kind of neat.

I think I'm getting better at identifying grades on them, but Rod (veridgris) and yourself (and some others) have way better knowledge grading Canadian coins. So I lean on you guys for verification or redirection.

As always, thanks.

Bill in Burl

Post by Bill in Burl » Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:48 am

From actual wear-wise, I would say VF-30, maybe a bit better. However, there is lots of corrosion, of which the purple is a part. It especially has been cleaned right around the 4 previously .. probably to see what it was. It may have been buried and then cleaned to see what was there. Fishsclaes are really not my forte.
Bill in Burl

CDNMace

Post by CDNMace » Sun Jan 05, 2014 12:49 pm

Bill in Burl wrote:From actual wear-wise, I would say VF-30, maybe a bit better. However, there is lots of corrosion, of which the purple is a part. It especially has been cleaned right around the 4 previously .. probably to see what it was. It may have been buried and then cleaned to see what was there. Fishsclaes are really not my forte.

Thanks, Bill.

CDNMace

Post by CDNMace » Sun Jan 05, 2014 12:54 pm

PS... if it were a Morgan with purple corrosion, wouldn't that be called "Monster toning"? Ha-ha.

Says, 'Mr. I Honestly Thought it Was Luster'. :wink:
(I really did).