1946 Canada Half

Post your pictures here if you want grades opinions.
CDNMace

1946 Canada Half

Post by CDNMace » Tue Jan 28, 2014 9:54 am

Thoughts on grade?

Stopped for some Player's Lights in Windsor, ON on my way back to Michigan the other day. Guy in the convenience store asked if I wanted it because it was Sunday and he was short on quarters. 'Adjusting horseshoe' as I type.

Cheers.

verdigris

Stuff that in your pipe and smoke it.

Post by verdigris » Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:16 pm

No horseshoe. Opportunties are made. Quite obviously it pays to smoke Players.

My latest big find from the till is a Habs 100th anniversary Loonie. Out west here not a soul I show it to has even heard of such an abomination let alone set eyes upon one!! One Rider fan was seriously miffed to find out that they're not the only team that has a loonie. Ha!

Cheers

CDNMace

Re: Stuff that in your pipe and smoke it.

Post by CDNMace » Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:46 pm

verdigris wrote:My latest big find from the till is a Habs 100th anniversary Loonie.

GO HABS GO!! (Montreal born and raised).

Nice find! Might have something around here to trade. Haha

This '46 has a spot or two of your namesake, but overall I dig the toning. Just not a clue how to grade these things. Hand me an 1891 Seated Liberty Half, or any Barber, no sweat. Give me something from my own country, *crickets*. haha

Bill in Burl

Re: 1946 Canada Half

Post by Bill in Burl » Wed Jan 29, 2014 5:32 am

1946 is my birth year. I took a 1946 dollar and inlaid it into the handle of one of the canoe paddles that I hand carve ... everything is done with a spoke shave(s) and nothing more mechanical than that. They look nice ... maybe a 50 cent would be even better .. not so big. Anyway ... nice find
Bill in Burl

CDNMace

Post by CDNMace » Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:03 am

Bill in Burl wrote:1946 is my birth year. I took a 1946 dollar and inlaid it into the handle of one of the canoe paddles that I hand carve ... everything is done with a spoke shave(s) and nothing more mechanical than that. They look nice ... maybe a 50 cent would be even better .. not so big. Anyway ... nice find

Thanks Bill. Would love to see a picture of that paddle. That'd be really cool.

Cheers.

verdigris

Post by verdigris » Wed Jan 29, 2014 8:44 pm

CDNMace wrote:Just not a clue how to grade these things. Hand me an 1891 Seated Liberty Half, or any Barber, no sweat. Give me something from my own country, *crickets*. haha

If you're going to carry a horse shoe up the wazoo then you're just gonna have to learn.
The GRV and GRVI are the easiest to grade over the rest of the Royals IMO. With the George VI it's all about the hair above the ear. And the eyebrow. That's bold because it's important. You can literally split hairs in arguing the grade of this obverse. Your precious is AU I suppose. I'd go out on a limb and say maybe even MS/UNC but your photos leave a little to be desired and the coin is of course "rusty". This is a coin that looks like it may have come out of someone's sock drawer and put back into circulation at the C&P store you found it at.

Something to keep in mind...
Check the 2 points where the crown meets the shield/crest on the rev. It's inevitable that once a 1937-58 is circulated there will be wear at one side or the other of that area. I've noticed that it's a sweet spot for rubbing. Because it's a symetrical design you can compare a left-right mirror image if you get my drift. Better than say...comparing a Lion to a Unicorn.

Cheers

CDNMace

Post by CDNMace » Tue Feb 04, 2014 12:30 pm

verdigris wrote:
CDNMace wrote:Just not a clue how to grade these things. Hand me an 1891 Seated Liberty Half, or any Barber, no sweat. Give me something from my own country, *crickets*. haha

If you're going to carry a horse shoe up the wazoo then you're just gonna have to learn.
The GRV and GRVI are the easiest to grade over the rest of the Royals IMO. With the George VI it's all about the hair above the ear. And the eyebrow. That's bold because it's important. You can literally split hairs in arguing the grade of this obverse. Your precious is AU I suppose. I'd go out on a limb and say maybe even MS/UNC but your photos leave a little to be desired and the coin is of course "rusty". This is a coin that looks like it may have come out of someone's sock drawer and put back into circulation at the C&P store you found it at.

Something to keep in mind...
Check the 2 points where the crown meets the shield/crest on the rev. It's inevitable that once a 1937-58 is circulated there will be wear at one side or the other of that area. I've noticed that it's a sweet spot for rubbing. Because it's a symetrical design you can compare a left-right mirror image if you get my drift. Better than say...comparing a Lion to a Unicorn.

Cheers

All very much appreciate, Rod. Cheers. Especially referencing where I keep my horseshoe. LOL

g.nemetchek

Post by g.nemetchek » Mon Mar 31, 2014 2:53 pm

I'd say it looks to be right around the AU53 range. Good trade !