Books on Grading

Post your pictures here if you want grades opinions.
coinme

Books on Grading

Post by coinme » Sat Feb 07, 2015 4:09 pm

He all. Trying to learn what I can about grading coins. Are there any books out there, specifically on Canadian coins that can help me to learn?

Thanks in advance.

Rej

Shylo

Re: Books on Grading

Post by Shylo » Sat Feb 07, 2015 10:25 pm

I purchased :

"Standard Grading Guide for Canadian and Colonial Decimal Coins"

Revised Edition

By James E. Charlton and Robert C. Willey

It's good....

There used to be a web site that was called something like the canadian coinissure ....

It was great because it included a lot of pictures as well...

The Charlton guide is also a really good resource as it provides a pretty good detailed description between the differences in grades (I found it especially helpful when learning the difference between different MS states)

Course nothing beats hands on experience and if you can go to your local coin shop and have a look at a wide variety of coins in different in a variety of grades.

bushman74

Post by bushman74 » Sat Feb 07, 2015 11:02 pm

Hi Shylo,

I think the site you are referring to might be www.coinoisseur.com. I just tried it but unfortunately it does not appear to be running at the moment. It's hard to say what the problem might be but hopefully it might just be temporary.

Shylo

Post by Shylo » Sun Feb 08, 2015 10:15 pm

That's quite possible.... it was that site... sounds very similar/likely...

I was certainly disappointed when the site went down and had never been in contact with the site admin so I have no way getting any other info from the source..

If I had any computer skills.. I would construct a site that would be similar with the respect of grades and photos of different coins... as I think it was a fantastic tool many could benefit from.

bushman74

Post by bushman74 » Mon Feb 09, 2015 12:05 pm

Hi Shylo,

I did manage to track down the information below but don't know if it is up to date. I also checked the Canada411.com site but it does not have a Vancouver listing. I may try and give a phone call to the listed number later in the week, but at the moment I'm to busy with trips visiting a friend in the hospital.

If someone else get a chance to phone number beforehand, please let us know what happened and if he will repost the website. If not would he consider emailing his pages to someone (possibly myself) so we/I can repost them for the use of everyone. Naturally we would give him credit for the work.

Here are the details I found:

Canadian Coinoisseur, Inc. (The)
Private Mail Box#345, 101-1001 West Broadway
Vancouver, BC V6H 4E4 Canada

Phone #: 604-737-2044
604-737-7889
Fax: 604-737-7889
E-Mail: mail@coinoisseur.com
Hours: By appointment.

coinme

Post by coinme » Tue Feb 10, 2015 11:46 am

Thanks for the replies. I will see if I can track down that book. I am really new and have so much to learn. I think some days my head wants to explode :shock:

bushman74

Post by bushman74 » Tue Feb 10, 2015 1:25 pm

Hi coinme,

Not sure where you live but in general in all major cities you can usually find coin dealers who should carry the book Shylo recommended.

You should also buy Charlton's "Canadian Coins, Vol 1, Numi Issue 2015". At the front of these they have a few pages with descriptions of the basics of what to look for when grading coins. They also give approx. value of coins, however these values are actually based on graded coins and usually dealers will only give you 60% of the listed price and will often sell at 80% of the listed price. At least that is what I find in Calgary.

If there are a few coin dealers where you live try to get to know 2 or 3 of them and ask for their help. That's what I did when learning to grade bank notes.

I first made up a sheet sorted by different denominations and series. Then by using the guideline at the front of Charlton's book on bank notes I practiced my grading. I then went to two different dealers and asked their opinions(and put them on the sheet). After a few attempts I found that I was doing a very good job. I have learnt to become a very strict grader with bank notes.

In exchange for their help I sometimes make purchases from them or sell them some notes at a good discounted price.

We all end up happy.

Also when buying the books don't be afraid to ask for or negotiate on the price for current dated books - you should be able to get up to 20% off (I usually do).

For books that are printed annually you can sometimes get last years or older books for 50% off.

Are there any coin clubs where you live? If yes, join one.

Also check for coin shows in your area and start attending them. You can learn a lot from some of the members.

I have found a few web sites that show grading differences with pictures. If you are interested I will try and post them when I get a chance.

I find that some of the American sites are not as detailed (harsh) in grading as we are in Canada, however it may be a place to start.

Like you I want to learn to grade coins. It's more difficult than bank notes, but I will work at it with the help of friends (from the club).

I still consider myself very much an amateur, however buy asking I am learning and glad to pass on my experiences.

Good luck.

bushman74

Post by bushman74 » Tue Feb 10, 2015 1:27 pm

One more thing.

Also check out the grading section of this website.

There are a few samples of graded coins there. Not many but some to get started.

coinme

Post by coinme » Wed Feb 11, 2015 2:35 pm

Thanks Bushman. I live just outside of Calgary and have been to Calgary Coins a lot. I have been talking with the owner and he has helped me out a bit. I just don't want to feel like I am taking advantage of his time. Although, I usually spend at least $100 every time I am there. I am not having too much of an issue grading the circulated coins but when it comes to the subtle differenced between and ms64 and ms65, that's what is bugging me. I am going to attend the coin show here is Calgary in March. You planning on going?

bushman74

Post by bushman74 » Wed Feb 11, 2015 3:46 pm

Yes, look for me at the J & T booth.

Why don't you try and attend our next club meeting Feb 24/15 at the Woodcreek Community Centre 1991 Woodview Drive SW. Doors open at 19:00 and meeting starts at 19:30.

The link is http://www.calgarynumismaticsociety.org

Also if you are a member of the club ($15.00) Robert at Cal Coins usually gives a bit extra off purchases.

coinme

Post by coinme » Thu Feb 12, 2015 12:02 am

I will definitely stop by and see you at the show. Not sure if I will be able to make this months meeting. I work as a financial advisor and this time of year is very busy for me.
Thanks for all the help so far. I appreciate it!

Rej

jj00

Post by jj00 » Sat Feb 21, 2015 10:23 am

Re Canadian Coinoisseur site, there is an archive copy of the grading section on the Internet Archive site,

http://web.archive.org/web/201309021155 ... Coins.html

JJ

SousNoir

Post by SousNoir » Thu Sep 29, 2016 7:52 pm

Hi,

There is a good grading guide for coins of Canada that was published last year. See here:
http://www.coinsandcanada.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6861

Dan
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Shylo

Post by Shylo » Sat Oct 01, 2016 2:46 am

That is also a fantastic resource... I purchased one about a year ago and I feel this book is worth EVERY penny... the pictures are fantastic

bushman74

Post by bushman74 » Fri Oct 07, 2016 9:21 pm

I finally saw the book.

"Guide for Grading Coins of Canada" by Andre Langlois.

It is EXCELLENT.

I believe one the executive from our Calgary Club has talked to Andre about buying a number of the books for our club members.

Just hoping he does it soon.

I WANT ONE.