Split grading coins???

Post your pictures here if you want grades opinions.
Nero12345

Split grading coins???

Post by Nero12345 » Fri May 20, 2016 7:32 pm

Hey there, I'm just wondering how often a split grade should be used. I'm grading some 1937-1952 canadian 50 cent pieces and I'm finding the reverse grades a lot higher. I've seen coins in the past F/VF on them meaning the coins has two grades, but am wondering how often it should be used. I've gotten 3 in a row that are this way. I'm still learning, so any advice is welcome.

Cheers, Owen

Shylo

Re: Split grading coins???

Post by Shylo » Fri May 20, 2016 9:10 pm

Okay... #1 after being in correspondence with the guy that literally wrote the book on this specific series this has been one of my favourite series of coins to collect.

May I suggest you include a few pictures and we'd be better to give you an opinion of cross grading....

In my honest opinion when it comes to grades of one side being F and the other VF it doesn't affect the value of the coin at all..

henrysmedford

Post by henrysmedford » Fri May 20, 2016 10:43 pm

Nero12345 wrote:Hey there, I'm just wondering how often a split grade should be used. I'm grading some 1937-1952 canadian 50 cent pieces and I'm finding the reverse grades a lot higher. I've seen coins in the past F/VF on them meaning the coins has two grades, but am wondering how often it should be used. I've gotten 3 in a row that are this way. I'm still learning, so any advice is welcome.

Cheers, Owen

Welcome to this group I like your posts on http://realcent.org/index.php . I will ask why my coin shop why most of there coins for sale have two grades. And will post what they say.

Joe

Bill in Burl

Post by Bill in Burl » Sat May 21, 2016 4:41 am

There really can't be 2 different grades, almost by literal definition, unless it is drawer wear. Both sides of the coin wear at the same rate .. it's only the intricacy of the design and the condition of the working die that dictate what the eye sees. Most of what you see, causing an apparent difference, is from a worn die or weak strike to begin with and has nothing to do with the "grade", which is based only on wear and surface condition(for some TPG''s). For ICCS, it's only "wear". To me, an assigned "split grade" is to make the seller appear to have a better coin that it actually is
Bill in Burl

Nero12345

Post by Nero12345 » Sat May 21, 2016 6:42 am

Thanks guys for the information. I'll include a few pics after work to show what I found. Your responses are pretty clear though. I've always liked the 50 cent piece for its obscurity (at least to me here in Canada, and being born in the mid seventies) and detail on the reverse. I buy a lot of coins locally and online and always enjoy these and also any coins from the eastern provinces such as Nova Scotia, P.E.I., New Brunswick, and Newfoundland. Again thanks for the info.

Owen

Shylo

Post by Shylo » Sat May 21, 2016 9:04 am

Sounds like we have the same tastes!!!

Please post pictures I'd love to see what ya have!

Nero12345

Post by Nero12345 » Sat May 21, 2016 7:24 pm

Here's a few pics from the iPad

I'm using the Standard Grading Guide for Canadian & Colonial Decimal Coins by Charlton and Willey and they are saying that the reverse the wear extends to the English and Scottish Arms in the shield and up towards the cross on the crown. I don't see this and would grade this VF. On the other hand the obverse show considerable wear of the detail of the hair by the ear and neck, so I'd give it a F for a grade. It's not a big deal but I was just wondering what the kind of "rule of thumb" was on the subject. I'll add some more pics of my provincial stuff soon. I'm away at work at the moment and take a only took some half dollars to grade at night when im trying to stay out of trouble.

Cheers, Owen

Nero12345

Post by Nero12345 » Fri Jun 17, 2016 7:45 pm

Shylo wrote:Sounds like we have the same tastes!!!

Please post pictures I'd love to see what ya have!

Hey guys and gals, I meant to get to this before but here's some pics of coins I picked up about a month ago. There's about 40 in all but these are some I've gone through.

SousNoir

Post by SousNoir » Sat Sep 24, 2016 2:44 pm

Hi Nero12345,

Your 50 cents 1943 can't be a VF-20. Here's why.

The obverse has to much wear on the eyebrow to be a VF-20. Some details are visible in the hairs and the ear seems complete at the arrow. While this is close to a VF-20, I would grade the obverse at F-15 because of the eyebrow. This is hard to say more using the picture.

The reverse is less than F-12. The foot of the cross at the top of the big crown is not well defined. At F-12, the 3 pearls below the cross have some wear but they are round. The strings in the harp must be well defined and have little wear. To be a F-12, the unicorn at right must have a clear crown on the neck and a well defined chain on the waist with almost no wear. At best, I would give a grade VG-10 for the reverse. Again, this is hard to be more accurate with a picture. The harp looks more a VG-8 than a VG-10.

If I had sell this coin, I would say this is a VG-10 overall. From the pictures, I can tell this a beautiful VG-10, not a VF-20.

Dan
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.