$1 bill sequence numbering

General discussions about canadian banknnotes.
sbowman

$1 bill sequence numbering

Post by sbowman » Wed Jan 03, 2018 2:38 pm

I was wondering if a one dollar bill from 1973 serial # AMD7777777 would be worth anything

coinguy

Re: $1 bill sequence numbering

Post by coinguy » Wed Jan 03, 2018 2:59 pm

It certainly would, especially being all 7's.
Value of course would depend on condition.

sbowman

Post by sbowman » Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:03 pm

I am new at this, as far as I can tell it is either EF or AU. I have had it since 1973 in a holder, never been used

bushman74

Post by bushman74 » Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:54 pm

Is it in a soft sleeve or a hard case?

If you can take a good clean picture of it (out of the holder) and post it we may be able to help on the possible grading.

If it is as you say then it could be worth a good buck. It might be one of the few time it could be worth sending it or taking it to Kitchener (depending where you live) to be graded.

Nice find.

sbowman

Post by sbowman » Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:03 pm

I have added an attachment with a scan of the $1 dollar bill. It has been kept in a hard sleeve. I live in Northern Alberta and the nearest city is Edmonton, is there a place to take it there
Attachments
coinscanada.jpg
coinscanada.jpg (628.34 KiB) Viewed 20068 times

Shylo

Post by Shylo » Fri Jan 05, 2018 6:35 am

There's a good amount of waffling and I'm not sure if I can see some creases at the corners (dog ears) or if it's just my eyes playing tricks on me....

Conservatively I would say EF.. with a slight chance it may be AU

If you want to get rid of it there's a few ways you can do it...

1) Sell to a dealer - go into their shop or go to a coin show and negotiate your best offer...
2) Sell through kijiji or craigs list... I would advise that you be very careful if you go this route and look to meeting somewhere safe in public and have one or two others with you
3) sell on ebay

Personally I used to collect "solid" notes (where all the serial digits are the same number).... I don't much anymore just because I don't see them really holding their value... it was a "thing or fad" but the hype is kinda gone for me at least.. I would imagine you could get conservatively $200 for it from a dealer and perhaps upwards to $400 on ebay

Hope that helps

bushman74

Post by bushman74 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:45 pm

Hi Showman,

Thank you for posting the pictures. To give an accurate grade a knowledgeable person would actually have to have the note in their hands.

Fortunately you took great pictures that make it easier to give a reasonable grading. I was able to blow it up for considerable clarity.

Unfortunately it is definitely not an AU.

I would say that it is a VF with a possibly of close to an EF.

It has one and possibly 2 hard creases near the centre. These can be seen belter on the reverse side.

It also has ripples all around the note and all 4 corners are creased.

From the colouring and considerable finger handling dirt marks I would also guess that it has lost some of it's stiffness

Shylo is correct in his pricing. I agree that a good dealer would likely offer $200 and possibly up to $250.

You could and would likely get more selling it privately on EBay or Kijiji, however as Shylo wisely stated there is always the possibly of a problem or pitfalls when dealing in either of these.

You said that you are north of Edmonton, how far?

Did you know that the Edmonton coin club has a show March 10 & 11. If you are interested you could bring it there and try and sell it.

Also the Calgary clubs show is the following weekend March 17 & 18.

If you can make either show, stop by the J & T booth and I can direct you to a few good people.

I will try to PM you in the next few days.

sbowman

Post by sbowman » Sun Jan 14, 2018 2:31 pm

Thank you for all your help. I live about 2 hours north of Edmonton but will try to come to the coin show.

troubadour

Post by troubadour » Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:10 pm

Just curiosity. Hiw did you find this? Lucky 7's.

Shylo

Post by Shylo » Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:14 pm

I will most likely be going to Edmonton in April for a completely different event. If you haven't had anyone grade your note at that point and still want help feel free to drop me an email and we can meet, I would be happy to help you with this not any any other notes or coins you have questions about.

Cheers...

It's a very nice note...!!!

sbowman

Post by sbowman » Thu Feb 15, 2018 5:44 pm

I found the note when I was working in a store and we received money from the bank that was brand new. I noticed the serial numbers and bought the dollar bill with all the 7's.
To Shylo, when in April will you be coming to Edmonton?

Shylo

Post by Shylo » Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:55 am

Edmonton: April 13-15 is the U17 & U19 national championships for wrestling. I have been a wrestling coach for over 20 years. There's a few kids I have coached that will be attending this event and while I haven't been able to coach this year (medical - I have had a brain bleed this year which has kept me off work and away from coaching) I will do my best to go to nationals to watch some of these kids perform.

If you would like me to have a look at that note or any others you may have.. I would be glad to, Just send me a private message and we can work something out.

bushman74

Post by bushman74 » Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:48 pm

Hi sbowman,

Do you think you will have an opportunity to get to the Edmonton coin show March 10 and 11?

I would definitely like to see that note. I know some others there would also be interested in seeing it.

Did you get the PM I sent in January.

How's the snow up north. Tons in and around Calgary.