Liquidating Collection Questions

General discussions about canadian banknnotes.
hr2pilot

Liquidating Collection Questions

Post by hr2pilot » Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:08 pm

I'm presently liquidating an estate with a small banknote collection, and I am totally ignorant of the collectible banknote marketplace.

Questions:

1. How do I know what level of grading I have....for example, I have a stack of 50 uncirculated in sequence $2 bills (Thiessen/Crowe CBF5983701 and up) that I would consider GUNC ....what is the difference between a 'CUNC 65' and a 'GUNC 67' ?
2. What is the best way to liquidate or sell these banknotes? Brick and mortar buyer/seller? Ebay?
3. Assuming these bills are GUNC 67 and show to be worth approx $25 each according to this website, what value can
I realistically expect to get on the market?

Thanks

coinguy

Re: Liquidating Collection Questions

Post by coinguy » Thu Mar 08, 2018 4:29 pm

First of all, welcome to this website.
With the Thiessen-Crow signature, that would be the 1986 Series.
First of all, why do you think they grade GUNC67. That would be
one of the highest grades for these bills and would have to be
professsionally graded to sell as such. To find any in that grade
would be very rare let alone 50.
Also I wonder where you got your price of $25.00 per bill from.
According to the Charlton catalogue, bills with a prefix of CBF
(70,000,000 printed) in GUNC condition have a value of $4.00.
I don't mean to burst your bubble, but these bills are common
even with consecutive numbers. You could take them to a coin
shop, but I doubt if they would be interested and would only
offer you face value. You might like to try KIJIJI or eBay
and sell them as a lot. You could try asking $250.00 and come
down in price if they don't sell.

coinguy

hr2pilot

Post by hr2pilot » Thu Mar 08, 2018 5:34 pm

Thanks for the reply. As I said, I am totally ignorant of anything to do with banknote collectibles. To answer your questions, I simply assumed that a bundle of notes that have seemingly come straight from the printer, never been handled or even counted individually would have been the highest grade....but obviously that is not the case. That's why I was asking the questions to pro's like yourself.

I personally don't have a bubble to burst, as I am simply an executor to a will, and trying to liquidate these notes and trying to determine if they are worth anything...obviously they are not. As far as trying to find a price of $25 dollars, I used this site and this page to search the correct year and signature to attempt at pricing these notes:

http://www.coinsandcanada.com/banknotes ... id_denom=3

...and wrongly assumed the price as GUNC-67 as 25.30 as stated for an uncirculated untouched note. It's quite obvious now I didn't know what I was doing or how to read these tables.

Thanks for your help, I will simply cash these and other similar notes we have in this estate collection in at the bank at face value.

Cheers

Shylo

Post by Shylo » Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:26 pm

The first grade of UNC notes is a 60 out of 70.... and for each point upwards the criteria gets stricter and stricter ..

Don't be so fast to take all the notes to the bank. If there is a large number of notes they still may do well if sent to an auction house.. there may also be something unique in the lot as well...

Any other questions though please don't hesitate to ask more questions.. might make a collector out of you yet... hahhahahah