$2 Devil Face Notes

General discussions about canadian banknnotes.
Sp3nc3r

$2 Devil Face Notes

Post by Sp3nc3r » Sat Mar 16, 2024 6:18 pm

Why are the prices of the $2 bills so high? I have a $20 that is EF, and it costs less than a F/VF $2. I dont understand :|

GBELEC

Re: $2 Devil Face Notes

Post by GBELEC » Sat Mar 16, 2024 7:19 pm

I hope you hear from more than just me on this but IMO it’s just a matter of supply and demand. There are a great number of $20 on the market but the $2 was not as common a note in circulation therefore not as meany found there way into collector hands. I don’t know but also expect that not nearly as meany where printed.

Sp3nc3r

Post by Sp3nc3r » Sat Mar 16, 2024 8:27 pm

Yeah that is possible. Right now i'm trying to get all the devil face bills so I just ordered 3 new bills from ebay and a coin shop. I got a VF $2 for $60.

Nota_phil

Post by Nota_phil » Sun Mar 17, 2024 2:44 pm

It's hard to say because you are not framing your question in a specific manner. Do you mean Choice UNC $2.00 compared to Choice UNC $20 from the first or 2nd signature combo? If you are talking about short prefixes (or change-overs), they're a different story (as are replacements). The BV's for the first signature of each are nearly the same, likely due to the fact that a $2.00 note was more of a workhorse note (and circulated) much more than a $20 which had many more stashed away in SDB (Safety Deposit Boxes).

It's important to remember that BV is based on a Pricing panel's suggestions based on their observations. They're ballpark figures & for the most part they factor in terms of World demand (not CDN collectors' demand) -especially when it comes to the first 3 series (what a lot of dealers refer to as the "sweetheart series" since the 35/37 & DF's sell so easily). US collectors buy more of these notes than CDN collectors so they normally go on what these notes demand in USD and then project what the demand (prices) will be for the more circulated examples. Charlton's panel rarely bumps up the circulated index of the price tables.

When it comes to BV (Charlton Book Value) & Market value (what notes actually demand) you're also getting into more a realistic conversation. It is possible that TWO's are in far more demand lately & the supply of TWENTIES is high (as GBELEC noted).

Once you discuss circulated notes the story changes somewhat (with lower denoms generally going for much less than the higher denominations). If people are paying more for circulated TWO's than that's pretty interesting (& may be a blip in the market). Also, expect greater demand for TPG notes with EPQ or "Original" since these are much tougher than processed (pressed notes). A lot of people have (unfortunately) pressed some really nice looking DF's so the unmolested types just seem to be hard to find.
Join the journey: check out Notaphilyc Culture:
https://sites.google.com/view/notaphily ... -banknotes

Sp3nc3r

Post by Sp3nc3r » Sun Mar 17, 2024 8:40 pm

Yeah sorry about that. Im pretty sure that the ones i saw were Coyne-Towers and about vf-ef