Removing coins from ICCS plastic sleeve?

General discussions about conservation and classification.
mp21

Removing coins from ICCS plastic sleeve?

Post by mp21 » Wed Apr 04, 2018 11:06 pm

Hi everyone! I'm new to this site and fairly new to collecting as well. Recently, I purchased 7 Great Britain coins ranging from 1806 to 1888 that had previously been ICCS graded. I like the idea that they have been graded as I know that it is quite expensive to do so, but the double layer of plastic and some very annoying air bubbles in the inner sleeves make the coins very difficult to see. My favourite thing about collecting is being able to look at the coin itself. I understand that if I were to remove the coin, the "official" grading is no longer deemed valid, but is there really any true benefit to having an ICCS graded coin if it's not extremely valuable or I don't intend to sell them any time soon?

Secondly, the comments on my new 1806 penny say "cleaned; corrosion" on it. Does this mean ICCS cleaned the coin or that it was cleaned before it was sent and ICCS caught it and valued it lower because of this? I know cleaning is often frowned upon in many cases.

Thanks in advance and sorry for the lengthy question!

coinguy

Re: Removing coins from ICCS plastic sleeve?

Post by coinguy » Thu Apr 05, 2018 7:03 am

You did not say what the grades were but I have removed many coins
from their holder if they are graded MS63 or lower. If you do not intend
on selling them, then why not remove them if you would enjoy them more.
There are many people who only collect raw coins.
As far as the "cleaned, corrosion " designation, this is how the coin was
received by ICCS.

mp21

Post by mp21 » Thu Apr 05, 2018 11:19 pm

coinguy wrote:You did not say what the grades were but I have removed many coins
from their holder if they are graded MS63 or lower. If you do not intend
on selling them, then why not remove them if you would enjoy them more.
There are many people who only collect raw coins.
As far as the "cleaned, corrosion " designation, this is how the coin was
received by ICCS.

Thanks for the reply! They are only graded F-12 and F-15 and not very valuable so I'm not sure why they were sent to be graded to begin with, but if keeping them in those sleeves is really more of a personal preference thing/selling feature then I think I will remove them.
Thanks again!

Shylo

Post by Shylo » Sun Apr 15, 2018 12:31 am

I've taken coins that were graded out of their plastic coffins and into a nice clean 2x2. It's really the way I prefer to look at my coins.

Now you said you had no idea why someone paid to have these graded. Sometimes ICCS and other graders will provide discounts on bulk submissions. For example regular grading may be around $12... if you have 100+ coins you will be charged $10 a coin

So sometimes people throw a couple "junk" coins in the lot to get a bulk discount.

If you like the holders keep 'em... if you plan to sell it does help... but if it's for your own collection... have the coins you want... you'll enjoy it more.