how to store coins

General discussions about conservation and classification.
sanos

how to store coins

Post by sanos » Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:50 am

Was just wondering what's the best way of storing large amounts of coins (to protect them from damage)-currently I have them wrapped up in rolls of newspaper.

Also, would like any comments on where you have found the best place to sell coins (ebay,any specific stores etc.)-I am in back and forth in the Peterborough and Toronto areas and any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks.

Lightw4re
Site Admin

Re: how to store coins

Post by Lightw4re » Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:27 am

One of the common way is tu used 2x2 mylar like this.

verdigris

Post by verdigris » Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:42 am

Avoid wrapping your coins in paper. Paper contains acids and other harmful chemicals.

To give you an example; some time ago and for whatever reason, I had a Dutch 1 G and 2 1/2 G, and a German 5 DM coin (all silver alloy) wrapped up in Kleenex and when I unwrapped them after a few years they were completely ruined. The Dutch coin was UNC and now looked rusted with scales wherever it had been in contact with the paper. I had no choice but to clean them using baking soda and boiling water which, in the end, saved them (barely) but I learned a very hard lesson. Take Lightw4re's advice; cardboard/mylar flips are your best protection for the money.

BTW, search youtube on this topic. You'll find several videos on caring for your coins. Good luck.

Cheers

Bill in Burl

Post by Bill in Burl » Fri Feb 22, 2013 6:16 am

Since the largest coins that I collect are large cents, I prefer the cardboard/mylar 1 1/2 X 1 1/2 stapler type holders rather than 2X2's. There is still enough room to write what you want (small) and you get 30 coins to the page album rather than 20.

You can sell on Ebay (or kijiji), but it takes diligence, time, and relatively good writing skills .. you also have to share part of your profit with Ebay and Paypal and the loses are all yours .. they don't share those. You can also sell to dealers, but can expect no more than 50% of Trends or so for scarcer coins, and much less for common or modern stuff. There are also buy/sell/trade sections on most of the internet coin sites. Those work out fairly well.
Bill in Burl