1910 Penny Types

Discuss about everything else here.
jello

1910 Penny Types

Post by jello » Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:01 pm

I am working on my large cent set and picked a bag of 100
1910 Penny types has anyone seen a listing for a inverted 9 that really or thought to be a 6? :D [img][/img]
old school

Bill in Burl

Re: 1910 Penny Types

Post by Bill in Burl » Sat Oct 25, 2014 3:30 am

Your image never came through. Griffin mentions a few minor, fairly common varieties for the date. All will show the C in Cent recut or R/P'd at the bottom. There are 3 varities that deal with the date .. the first where the 1 & 9 have been slightly repunched; another where the 9 has been repunched, shifted to the right; and the last has a notch on left side of the 9 and also has the serif of the C in Cent badly repunched.

Jack also mentions that there is one that appears to be a larger date, but I have found references to that anomoly incorrect for other dates. Jack looked at coins through a hand-made scope using field binocular lenses fit together ... long before optics had made it possible for collectors to have regular lab binocs with 10X, 40X, 200X, etc magnifications. Jack Griffin was a wonderful person and great researcher and he provided building blocks that allowed authors/researchers 20-30 years later to publish some wonderful books and guides. However, the gist of Jack's book and articles used 'date spacing' as its primary purpose/guide... any repunches or other anomolies were mentioned only as markers or sidelights, not as the primary ID and were not "all-inclusive". You will notice, when you read his initial 1991 pub or the Charlton reprint(be careful when you use the reprint, as there are many many erros in it), he grouped and classified the varieties in each date by the spacings of the digits from left to right. The adjective or adjectives that he assigned to the spacings on different coins was not linear or cohesive, so 'close' on one coin could be 'far' on another. Throw in the 'very' or very, very' or 'extremely' with the near, far, wide, narrow or other descriptive and you have some head-scratchers trying to transfer his words into what you are loking at.

Good luck and keep us apprised.
Bill in Burl

jello

Post by jello » Sat Oct 25, 2014 7:34 am

old school

jello

Post by jello » Sat Oct 25, 2014 11:29 am

old school

Bill in Burl

Post by Bill in Burl » Sat Oct 25, 2014 11:51 am

I can't open the images. All that I get is a page with a few thumbnails on it. And if any of the images have to do with the person's name in the link/image that starts with B, then I wouldn't believe it. All I get from the link that you sent is a couple very worn Vickies and 2 notices for the CoinExpo.
Bill in Burl

verdigris

Post by verdigris » Sat Nov 01, 2014 11:21 am

Bill, are you sure those aren't images that you posted? All the thumbnails I see are all the images I've ever posted on this forum. Although, for what it's worth, I did enjoy scolling through them all. :D

Cheers

Bill in Burl

Post by Bill in Burl » Sat Nov 01, 2014 5:57 pm

I see only 2 photos, each shown twice for 4 total. They are just thumbnails. If there are more images than that, then I don't know where they are.
Bill in Burl

jello

Post by jello » Sat Nov 01, 2014 6:31 pm

:Cowboy:
I'll try to take a few more photo's
maybe this time it's going work.
Bill thanks for telling everything about date variety
:-)
Bill in Burl wrote:I see only 2 photos, each shown twice for 4 total. They are just thumbnails. If there are more images than that, then I don't know where they are.

ok
old school