Landon/Victoria North Collection

General discussions about canadian coins.
Shylo

Landon/Victoria North Collection

Post by Shylo » Sun Jan 11, 2015 1:27 am

All I can say is .. dang!!!

I just had look at the auction catalog today and absolutely drooled! I only wish that there was some way I could find some serious funds liquid.. so many items I would like...

I have only been in numis and auctions for a very short period of time.. but can anyone tell me how frequently a collection of this caliber is made available?

Anyone here looking at taking something home for themselves or perhaps to buy up as stock (if you're a dealer)....

If so.. what's caught your eye?

Bill in Burl

Re: Landon/Victoria North Collection

Post by Bill in Burl » Sun Jan 11, 2015 2:02 pm

I'll be there, but ljust looking.
Bill in Burl

Shylo

Post by Shylo » Wed Feb 11, 2015 11:23 am

Would you all stop bidding... dang it! Making it hard for a guy to pick up a good dose of coins...

Just kidding...

but in all honesty I'm really excited for tonight and the next few days.. hoping to pick up some REALLY nice pieces!

bushman74

Post by bushman74 » Wed Feb 11, 2015 1:12 pm

I'm curious,

Where can you see this on the web?

Not interested in buying anything but curious to see what they have and the final sales prices.

Shylo

Post by Shylo » Wed Feb 11, 2015 2:47 pm

web site is icollector dot com

go to coins and paper money auctions...

then to the ones in Canada.... since it's going on for the next 4 days.... it will be the first one up... Legacy sale II

The G.L. Landon collection was all aquired by one man in the early 1900's ... who was from Winnipeg (same city I live in) ...

The next day is the Victoria North collection... this was also one man's collection who was trying to put together the all time best pieces... (this one will draw many both north and south of the border as there are many nice pieces)

The next two days are just regular items that I assume have been put up for auction or amassed by the two shops collaborating in this auction...

-- All said and done because of the sheer number of large cents in high MS states that will be offered there is talk that this may affect the overall market.

Recently I purchased a MS 65 1908H... I was glad to see there wasn't any in this auction so I feel if this auction does affect the market and for only select items my most recent purchase will not depreciate as much as some other large cents.. where there is over 20 in MS 64 being offered up at once.

As I have browsed the auction listings it seems that it will be very "healthy" as most items that have been estimated to sell at or under 2K already have some strong bids.

If you track auction results this is definetly one that you should watch

bushman74

Post by bushman74 » Wed Feb 11, 2015 3:38 pm

Thanks for the site.

Some very nice items to have on a wish list.

I must sell off a number of my coins and bank notes before I look at something like these.

Have not followed auctions before but will start looking for some to follow.

I have attended two private auctions my club held (closed to our members) for a senior member who has been collecting for 70 - 80 years. He had some amazing and desirable coins. Almost all went at a very reasonable price and we didn't have to pay any commission.

Thanks again

Shylo

Post by Shylo » Thu Feb 12, 2015 2:24 pm

Well it looks promising for the hobby...

Last night I felt like I was at a wild west shoot out!

There is definetely a lot of interest in many of the coins that were up for auction and that will be up for auction today and the following days.

After all is said and done... I think the aucitoneers will be very happy.. even if they had to work a little extra hard... 10 hrs straight and going til 4 a.m. can be tough.. but when they made nearly 400K in just one night prior to expenses.. I say they're probably pretty happy with who's attending.

bushman74

Post by bushman74 » Thu Feb 12, 2015 2:55 pm

I had a quick review of some of the final prices just a few hours back. A few were way over paid for in my opinion. I am still very much and amateur but just my thoughts on it. Some were more reasonably priced.

I definitely do not agree with some of the grading. I saw one coin that was listed as an MS65 yet from the pictures you could see considerable ware and scratches and not from a plastic holder.

One MS70 had pits in it.

As I indicated before, I am just learning to grade coins. I have got my bank notes down pretty good and I am hard (and fair) on my grading, sometimes I grade a bill as AU that a dealer was willing to say he would sell as an UNC. That was on one of my notes, not his.

Coin grading is much more challenging and subjective.

Regardless, thanks for putting me on to the site.

I do not care for the forced incremental bid sizes. Is this the way with all coin auctions?

If you happen to see a 1926 nickel with a far leaf please let me know. I'm anxious to see what is sells for. I have a 1926 in VF (unofficial grade) that I may sell sometime in the future.

CanuckCoinGirl

Post by CanuckCoinGirl » Tue Jun 14, 2022 5:22 pm

It has now been a while since these have come out. The influx of spectacular coins was expected to change things for coin collecting and values - any thoughts on whether that happened? I have a couple and they really are spectacular. I would like a few more, but I do like to eat too...

Bill in Burl

Post by Bill in Burl » Wed Jun 15, 2022 11:08 am

Follow this thread from another site (which has much more coinage traffic than here). A good friend of mine has quite a few Landon coins and is at the end of this thread:

https://www.coincommunity.com/forum/top ... _ID=190874
Bill in Burl

CanuckCoinGirl

Post by CanuckCoinGirl » Wed Jun 15, 2022 10:30 pm

thanks... I had seen this and asked the same question there...
The ones I have are really exceptional... I am a lover of mediocre to outstanding large cents and $2 bills... and a have a few other fun things.
On the lookout for other Landons...