Suggestion for Lightw4re re PM's

Discuss about everything else here.
bushman74

Suggestion for Lightw4re re PM's

Post by bushman74 » Wed Oct 23, 2019 11:27 am

Hello Lightw4re,

I have a suggestion that I ask you consider putting in place if it isn't currently available.

Every so often some of the few people that participate on a regular base are unable to do so for unforseen circumstances.

However they may still get PM's (Private Messages) and not be aware of it.

Why not link PM's to emails so that if someone is sent a PM they are sent an email notice immediately.

That way they can at least keep up on PM's even if they can't particpate of the forums.

Also I know there have been times that I have been sent a PM and never thought to check. There are probably others who also never think to check if they have PM's.

Just a thought.

Lightw4re
Site Admin

Re: Suggestion for Lightw4re re PM's

Post by Lightw4re » Wed Oct 23, 2019 11:59 am

Hello,

From your control panel, you can go to:
1. Board preferences
2. Edit notification options
to change your preferred notification methods for the board. Last line on this page should be "Someone sends you a private message". If you check the EMAIL box, you will receive an email when someone send you a private message.

bushman74

Post by bushman74 » Mon Nov 04, 2019 3:21 pm

Hello Lightw4re,

Thank you for your reply.

I double checked my settings according to what you posted.

First I checked to see my settings about notifications for PM's sent to me.

I did originally check YES to all the following: allow PM's, Admin to send PM's and user's to send emails.

Next I checked the number of PM's since I joined. After that I checked for any emails notices advising me of PM's I had received since I first registered with coinsandcanada.

I have never received a single email notice and no I have not deleted any notification emails.

Another thing I have noticed is that a number of PM's that I tried to send over the past year have ALL gone to the Outbox but have never been sent to the person I directed them to.

Ironically a member and I had been sending a series of messages back and forth on a great topic when suddenly I was unable to send any more messages. They would all go to the Outbox and never go beyond. When I would go to the Outbox there is no button to try and send the message again.

However PM's prior to that date did go with no problem yet I have made no changes to settings since I first joined.

Another thing in the settings, when it says "Users Can Contact Me By Email", is this just when we send a PM or is that through another method? If another method, then how, I don't see anything saying emails?

I would really like to solve this problem as I have been tying to get a new PM through and having no luck. Thanks for your help Lightw4re. If you prefer you can try a PM.

Now to other forum members who periodically or regularly sent PM's, have you experienced problems with email notifications.

Just curious whether it's just me or others or you just haven't noticed.

Lightw4re
Site Admin

Post by Lightw4re » Mon Nov 04, 2019 5:57 pm

I'll answer here since it can help more people.
bushman74 wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 3:21 pm
I have never received a single email notice and no I have not deleted any notification emails.
I have changed some configurations. Let me know if the email system works now.
bushman74 wrote:
Another thing I have noticed is that a number of PM's that I tried to send over the past year have ALL gone to the Outbox but have never been sent to the person I directed them to.
If the member didn't read your PM, it stays in the your Outbox.
If the member (or you) have a full private message inbox, it stays in your Outbox. I just changed the max. number of private messages from 100 to 1,000.
bushman74 wrote:
Another thing in the settings, when it says "Users Can Contact Me By Email", is this just when we send a PM or is that through another method? If another method, then how, I don't see anything saying emails?
If you click on a username and look at his profile page, you'll see a link to send him an email through the discussion board.

Thanks for your questions and feedback.

bushman74

Post by bushman74 » Mon Nov 04, 2019 6:38 pm

Thank you Lightw4re.

Some interesting information.

I will try an email now.