OK people, let's start promoting this website

Questions and suggestions about Coinsandcanada.com.
bushman74

OK people, let's start promoting this website

Post by bushman74 » Sun Feb 08, 2015 1:27 am

I know we have a decent number of members registered with this website. If you don't want to see it die a slow death, then start posting.

It doesn't matter whether you are a complete beginner, slightly learnt, well season or and expert, all input would be welcome.

Don't be afraid of being rebuked, we are generally a polite crowd here.

I know some of you may think that the other members will think you question is stupid but I will bet that that there are probably a number of others that wanted to ask the same question but didn't for the same reason.

Ask it, with luck, especially to the newbies you will get an answer that will be really helpful.

I can put it this way. When I was doing my ground school course for my pilots licence I asked tons of questions. After the second or third class many of my fellow students came up and said they wanted to ask the same question but were afraid too because they thought the other students would think that it was a stupid question.

I replied that I don't care how stupid it may sound, my and possibly other lives could be at stake when I'm flying and I want everyone to be safe.

I know this sound off topic, however let's look at in the coin or bank note realm.

I managed to purchase a small collection of pennies and nickels going back to 1921. At the time I did really know how to really look for some of the errors. In particular the 1926 nickel with a near or far leaf. I ask how to really check it out properly. I now have one 1926 far leaf nickel worth several hundred dollars and a few other 1926 nickels with close leafs.

Another time I picked up a three 1988 AJX $100 Unc bank notes. I was happy because they were replacements and thus more valuable. But it wasn't until I talked to other people and asked questions about the value that I found out about the Hidden Back Position Number and how to look for it.

Suddenly I now find out I have one of these Hidden BPN's and that it is worth several hundred dollars more.

If I had not asked I would not necessarily known this.

Who knows, maybe you may find a 4th 1936 penny with a dot and change the history books.

I am still very much of a newbie but I am learning. Now I really want to learn how to grade coins. I've gotten relative good with bank notes simply by asking.

Anyways to my suggestions:

- first and foremost, don't just lurk, start posting.

- if you belong to a coin club, tell the other members about this site and get them to register and start posting.

- also if a member of a coin club, have them post this site on the clubs website. We will be adding both coinsandcanada.com and numicanada.com to my club (hopefully in the next few weeks).

- if you are viewing and possibly posting on other coin websites, tell the members there about coinsandcanada.com and suggest that they join this group.

- the next time you go to a coin show, promote it there.

I had a few other ideas but it's late and I just can't remember them at the moment.

Remember the busier this sites gets, the more we will all learn and benefit.

Let's show Lightw4re that we appreciate his work.

Happy collecting to all.

Bill in Burl

Re: OK people, let's start promoting this website

Post by Bill in Burl » Thu Sep 15, 2016 4:30 am

As someone who looks into this site on a fairly regular basis (2-3 times/wk), I see that this 18 month old post fell on deaf ears. Like other sites that died a slow death due to lurkers vs posters, I'd hate to see one die. I understand that the French side of this does very well.
Bill in Burl

SousNoir

Post by SousNoir » Sat Sep 24, 2016 3:37 pm

Hi,

I have been a lurker in the past 2 years. Time permitting, I will be more active during autumn and next winter.

In the past year , I have given the address of this web site to people wanting to know more about canadian coins. Living in Montreal, most people wanted the address of the French site.

I am also a lurker on the Canadian Coins and Currency Discussion Forums of http://www.coincommunity.com/ which is very active. I think people don't want to cross post topics on both sites. I have a few subjects I'd like to discuss here but I don't know if it will be of interest to registered members of this forum. We'll see...

Dan
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

SousNoir

Post by SousNoir » Sat Sep 24, 2016 7:51 pm

Hi again,

One reason why this forum is less active than its French counterpart is that English-speaking collectors of Canadian coins and tokens are scattered across several (and good) forums. I have just compared the number of people online on both forums including guests and excluding robots (Google, Bing, etc.), There are more than 100 people on NumiCanada forums while we are 5 here including guests.

I took some time to crunch numbers pulled from CoinandCanada data from registered users. As I write this, 206 new members have registered to CoinandCanada since January 1st 2016. All these new members wrote 150 messages (including those I wrote today as I registered in June 2016). This makes an average of 1,37 message per new member in 2016. This means nothing.

Among 206 new members, 161 (78%) never wrote a single message. 14 new members wrote a single message. Only 2 of these 14 members never had an answer as they had requests for a specific modern token/local trade coin that can be hardly found away from their area.

31 new members (15%) wrote more than one post in the forum (including myself today). Only 3 of these new members (1,5%) have more than 10 posts. I am not one of them... yet. These 3 new members are those who can bring new subjects on the forum and that could be refreshing talks with experienced collectors who are willing to join in. I know that it may be difficult for some of you who already have a bunch of nice collectors (and sometimes friends) on other forums.

Finally, we can't compare members activity of the French and the English forums. French-speaking collectors of Canadian coins have Numicanada forums and nothing else unless they can read (at least) forums in the English language.

Dan
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Bill in Burl

Post by Bill in Burl » Sun Sep 25, 2016 4:50 am

Thank you Sous.
Bill in Burl

bushman74

Post by bushman74 » Tue Sep 27, 2016 5:42 pm

Thanks Bill ans SousNoir for bringing up my original posting to encourage others to post on this forum.

We have a great site here and Lightw4are does an amazing job in providing information for it.

I am continually promoting this site to members of my Calgary club and also to people I meet at any coins shows or flee markets I participate in.

I am even making up a small business card type sheet that I am giving to people.

Now to all the passive viewers/lurkers out there, why not register and start posting.

Remember, the only way we learn is by asking question.

We also educate others with new posts.

So now that I've done my short rant, it's time to POST, POST, POST.

PS - not only do you get to learn something from these posts but occasionally you get to meet some of the posters from here at different events.

I've had the pleasure of meeting a few when I do the coin shows and people come up to me and identify themselves.

Keep collection and posting.

SousNoir

Post by SousNoir » Wed Sep 28, 2016 9:40 pm

Hi,

bushman74 wrote:PS - not only do you get to learn something from these posts but occasionally you get to meet some of the posters from here at different events.

I've had the pleasure of meeting a few when I do the coin shows and people come up to me and identify themselves.

I agree. I have met a few collectors who are active on NumiCanada forums. It was fun to meet and to discuss with them all. I raise my hat to these men and women who share their experience and knowledge. Coins collection is new to me (actually I am an one year collector and an aging newbie). I appreciate every single thing that was shared in the past year on forums. Having the opportunity to discuss in person with a few of these coins collectors enhanced my interest about my own collection.

Dan

Samuel

Post by Samuel » Sat Jun 17, 2017 6:31 am

Thank you for your work. I will do all my best to share my knowledge with members of the forum amd will try to promote it within my friends.

Terry Mitchner

Post by Terry Mitchner » Sat Jun 17, 2017 10:32 am

I was thinking that if a question is asked and if nobody has a answer, at least you who are dealers could respond that you do not know or where somebody might get a answer, but, just leaving a question un-answered does not leave a good impression of the forums.
Meandering to the beat of a different Drummer

Coin-Flipper

Post by Coin-Flipper » Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:48 pm

Hi guys,

I may be a couple of years late with the reply, but I truly hope this is still alive :Lecture: . I just recently joined and I love the website. It is great resource for coins and banknotes. Would love another reply to get this up and running! :Prier:

Loyalist

Post by Loyalist » Wed Feb 20, 2019 1:04 pm

Can't remember when I joined this site, but it has been my "go to" for searching for answers and when researching my finds. I use this site extensively when I get time to sit down and update by db. But I have to admit that I surf the forum quite a bit, but when I can't get a google answer this is the next best place. Just posted a question today.

Bill in Burl

Post by Bill in Burl » Fri Feb 22, 2019 6:02 am

I try to promote this site whenever I have the chance and have been doing so since I joined years ago. Many people use the website as a reference to look up coins, but the English side of this forum gets little or no traffic as far as posting anything. I guess people post threads on other coin sites and just use CaC as a reference spot.
Bill in Burl

mesg

Post by mesg » Mon Feb 25, 2019 7:52 pm

please!!!!! don NOT let this site or any others like it.. fall on deaf ears... asIi (we) have gained soooooo. much information and knowledge that WILL !!!!!!! BE!!!! passed to and upon un our siblings and descendants.

THERE IS SO MUCH KNOWLEDGE AND HISTORY to be gained from our conservatory and ancestry.. to be ignored.

Meow314

Post by Meow314 » Thu Feb 17, 2022 5:24 pm

very late but i will tell more people i know to use coinsandcanada as more than just reference

Nota_phil

Post by Nota_phil » Mon Jul 18, 2022 11:32 am

I agree that this site is too important to lose from inactivity. I joined on the 27th of June & in those 2 weeks I have seen few posts. In fact, the crickets here prompted me to post the very same question whether "the fate of coin/currency forums" hanged by a thread: https://en.numista.com/forum/topic122021.html
(I will be trying to encourage participation) Sure hope others promote this site so participation improves!
Join the journey: check out Notaphilyc Culture:
https://sites.google.com/view/notaphily ... -banknotes