Coin values table layout suggestion

Questions and suggestions about Coinsandcanada.com.
wiser3

Coin values table layout suggestion

Post by wiser3 » Mon Jun 12, 2023 8:14 pm

So i have been tracking my coins in a spreadsheet that i made myself for more years then i can remember. From time to time i add more features to this spreadsheet. I'm currently trying to add an easy way to update coin values. This is a work in progress.

I'm again frustrated by an old problem. I like to have the coin year, mint mark, and variety description each in its own column. This website is a great source of coin varieties but the above 3 items are combined into one column and it's not consistent. For example, look at the Canadian 1 cent 1876 to 1901 - Price guide and values table. The above 3 items are all in the first column, also the Mint Mark is sometimes listed before the description and sometimes after.

With the current setup i can easily have the spreadsheet get the first 4 characters and put it in the year column. This leaves me with the mint mark and variety description combined in a way i can't get the spreadsheet to automatically separate. Even if the mint mark always came first problems would arise when there is no mint mark or no variety description.

For the last couple versions of my spreadsheet and this next one i've been manually adding the mint mark in it's column and editing it out of the variety description.

I realize this website change would be a lot of tedious work and i'm probably the only person that cares, but i figured it wouldn't hurt to ask.
----

Don't be waylaid by the empty rhetoric of the uninformed.

Bill in Burl

Re: Coin values table layout suggestion

Post by Bill in Burl » Tue Jun 13, 2023 6:43 am

I would use the column for the date to also include the mintmark, if there is one. If it's just for Canadian, then all you're going to need after the date is and H or, for more modern stuff, maybe the Ottawa or Winnipeg note. then have the next column after the date/mm to be a short desc.
Bill in Burl