newbie from NB

Post here if you want to sell, buy and/or trade.
Shunt

newbie from NB

Post by Shunt » Fri Dec 07, 2018 9:25 am

I, like a previous poster was left with some coins at my father passing. Now that I'm retired, I took some time to look at them. I am also a novice at this so bear with me if you could. I checked with local coin shop just to get an idea of how coins are valued in their market. It appear, from what was said, that most of the circulated coins I have, would probably just have a silver value. Not clear what that value is for pre 68 silver coins.
However there are a couple of special coins: 1990 bare belly 5cent est. F-12; 1881 5 cent with effigy upside down, est. G4+; 1832 NS halfpenny token plain edge with effigy upside down, est. F-12; 1900 Can 25cents with effigy upside down, est. AG-3; 1902 25 cent with effigy upside down, less than AG-3. I'll stop there for now.
Looking for feedback on those special coins and what to do with the coins. I will produce pictures on request. However I just got a new phone, which I need to be set up. Getting it done tomorrow.

Shunt

coinguy

Re: newbie from NB

Post by coinguy » Fri Dec 07, 2018 2:33 pm

First of all, welcome to the Forum.
To answer some of your questions, unless it is a rare coin, condition means everything in regards to the value.
If most of your newer silver coins are worn, they would only be worth bullion value.
As far as your "special" coins, your 1990 bare belly nickel in that condition has no premium.
With the rest of your coins, up until 1907 the effigy was produced upside down to the reverse (AKA Coinage Axis)
so that is normal. After 1907 the effigy and reverse both faced up (AKA Medal Axis).
As far as value, they should all be worth a bit above bullion because of their age.
The 1832 NS halfpenny could be worth $5-6.00.

Feel free to ask any other questions you might have. Somebody should have the answer..

Shunt

Re: newbie from NB

Post by Shunt » Sun Dec 09, 2018 11:59 am

Thank you coinguy! That certainly help my understanding of what I have. From my very limited experience, it appears that uncirculated coins have value while circulated ones, unless old, have bullion value. However, while looking on eBay or amazon, there appears to be a market for circulated coins which are in vg shape. I imagine that one needs an e-account to get into that market. I'm thinking many members must be doing this, otherwise it implies there is a market out there that's not being explored. So my next question, is there a possibility via coinsandcanada to do this by proxy or is everybody that is doing this have their own account? Or is there someone who might this for a % of the transaction?

Shunt