1994 Proof Set

General discussions about canadian coins.
gfolkins

1994 Proof Set

Post by gfolkins » Sun Oct 07, 2012 2:28 pm

Hello,

I'm looking at the 1994 Canada proof sets on an online auction site, and I noticed some interesting differences between two sets. Both sets include the Silver Dollar that depicts the RCMP Dog Sled search-and-rescue team, as well as the 50 cent piece. The other coins (penny, nickel, dime, and quarter) are included also.

The only difference is the loonie that is included and the price.

One proof set has a loonie that depicts a memorial monument and sells for $25.99, the other proof set has a loonie that depicts the loon and sells for $74.69.

They are being advertised as proof sets, and judging by the photographs, they have a similar presentation to this year's proof set on the Mint's website, so I believe they are both proof sets.

I was wondering which set would be the better set to invest in, and why there would be such a price difference. Is the $25.99 set with the Memorial loonie grossly underpriced? This year's proof set sells for $99.95.

I've never purchased a proof set before, and was wondering why they would be priced so low. I would think they would cost more because of their age. I guess the low price of the set with the memorial loonie has me a bit confused.

I have attached an image of the memorial loonie proof set, and was wondering what the grade and value of the coins would be, and if it would be worth the purchase price of $25.99?

Thanks!
Gerald

la cenne

Re: 1994 Proof Set

Post by la cenne » Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:43 am

I would say that the better place to ask would be the seller.As far as pricing goes,the issue price for the set was $50.75 back then. :Rechercher: