Which desirable years for Canadian silver dollars

General discussions about canadian coins.
Hot Brass

Which desirable years for Canadian silver dollars

Post by Hot Brass » Sat Mar 30, 2013 2:16 pm

What are the most desirable years,as far as the collecting of Canadian silver dollars and why? Thanks Hot Brass
*EDIT* After some searching,they only made 18,780 of the 1948 dollar,so that's one that's rare!?

verdigris

Re: Which desirable years for Canadian silver dollars

Post by verdigris » Sun Mar 31, 2013 12:54 pm

Just collect them all and you'll be happy :D

But seriously, there's not that many years in the entire set and relative to our other coinage, mintage of the silver dollar is very low for most of them before 1958. You've obviously seen the numbers and realized that trends follow accordingly. Key dates are 1945, all the '47s, and of course the '48. I suppose you can include the 1951 Arnprior variety (2-1/2 water lines) in there as well.

A couple months ago a teller at a local bank that I pick up coin rolls at told me an elderly woman had recently brought in 40(!) silver dollars "all with ships on them" and traded them for two 20s. And I quote: "The lady said they weren't worth anything."

And... they're gone...

So there you go. You decide.

Cheers

Shylo

Re: Which desirable years for Canadian silver dollars

Post by Shylo » Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:50 am

Each time you go to the bank.. ask 'em if they have any silver dollars...

I go to 2-3 banks once per week so they know me at 'em and if they see one they will put it aside for me... doesn't happen as often anymore but it's a nice treat to get them... and they have to sell you at face value... I just giggle while walking out the door..