Which Third Party Coin Graders to stay away from.

General discussions about canadian coins.
Hot Brass

Which Third Party Coin Graders to stay away from.

Post by Hot Brass » Sat May 25, 2013 4:55 pm

I am fairly new and have been buying mostly my graded Canadian coins from E-bay. Most are the usual ICCS TPG,but I have seen many others.Is there a list anywhere of third-rate third party graders out there...ones to stay away from? Thanks,Hot Brass

Bill in Burl

Re: Which Third Party Coin Graders to stay away from.

Post by Bill in Burl » Sat May 25, 2013 6:42 pm

NNC & ACG come to mind, but there are 3-4 other "garage" outfits that aren't even close to being on the mark. Just stay with ICCS, CCCS, PCGS, ANACS, NGC and sometimes ICG.
Bill in Burl

Hot Brass

Post by Hot Brass » Sat May 25, 2013 7:08 pm

Bill in Burl wrote:NNC & ACG come to mind, but there are 3-4 other "garage" outfits that aren't even close to being on the mark. Just stay with ICCS, CCCS, PCGS, ANACS, NGC and sometimes ICG.

Thanks! Hot Brass

Shylo

Post by Shylo » Sun May 26, 2013 11:40 am

For the most part I have faith in ICCS, CCCS, and ANACS. NEVER has a coin grading company got it right all the time ... So make sure you buy the coin and not the container..

I know so many people have heard the horror stories of buying a coin that may have been graded MS 65 when it was really only a 60 or some derivative of that, but just this week I purchased quite a few morgans and peace dollars all were various dates.. (including one 1928 peace) all were graded "very good" yet most were in fine, extra fine and couple were AU.

This deplorable grading company allowed me to purchase several coins that were actually above grade and in my favour for a couple hundred dollars in my favour.