PEI tokens or Medals 4 coin set Questions

General discussions about canadian coins.
Freddy10

PEI tokens or Medals 4 coin set Questions

Post by Freddy10 » Tue Jul 09, 2013 12:57 pm

I have a set of 4 medals from PEI. The sets contain 1 copra nickel 1 red brass 1 copper and 1 silver coin. One side has the Island on it and the other side province house. I am told they were put out in 1973 to mark PEI joining Canada 100 years. I want to get more info on these but can not seem to find any thing on line about them. Any one have a link or info on these? I would like to know the purity of the metals and the number of sets put out and how and to whom they were given to also the mint that made them ?? Any info would be much appreciated .

Lightw4re
Site Admin

Re: PEI tokens or Medals 4 coin set Questions

Post by Lightw4re » Wed Jul 10, 2013 3:41 pm

Trade dollars?

verdigris

Post by verdigris » Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:41 pm

I'm guessing these don't have a denominated value that you'd find on trade dollars. Sounds like they're a presentation set of medallions that may have been, more often than not, awarded individually. All the same design?.. nothing to differentiate the quartet other than different metals Freddy?

Maybe something given by the provincial government to bureaucrats and the likes.

Cheers

verdigris

Post by verdigris » Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:55 pm

ummm...

found it in like 5 seconds. There are privy marks on either end of the island. That'll probably get you somewhere.

Cheers

Freddy10

Post by Freddy10 » Thu Jul 11, 2013 5:56 pm

Thank you all for the replies. No they are not trade dollars. The link in the post above (found in five) shows a silver one for sale on Ebay The local dealers here on PEI can not seem to shed a lot of light on them other than the silver one is 92.5 silver and that they have been scrapping them out for the metal content and have done so to quite a few sets. I do believe it is correct that they were a Gov. of PEI hand out to mark PEI joining Canada in 1873 100 years later in 1973.
Regards Freddy