If You're Near the US Border... Tip for my Countrymen/women.

General discussions about canadian coins.
CDNMace

If You're Near the US Border... Tip for my Countrymen/women.

Post by CDNMace » Tue Oct 29, 2013 4:31 pm

If you're near the US border, I HIGHLY recommend taking a jaunt across. I'm in southeast Michigan. I've posted before about my 52 large cent/three UC Token haul for $10USD (ranging from G-AU). Well in the past few days, I've found the Canadian silver hoard. Including these two (Below).

I have NO idea why dealers here consider our coins so 'valueless', for a lack of better terms?

Anyway, today's haul were... 25 cents: 1936 Dot (VG), 1911 (VG+), 1919 (Photo), 1874-H (F). 10 Cents: 1871-H (Photo). Five Cents: 1882-H (VF), 1910 (Rounded Leaves-F+), 1898 (G+).

...wait for it... $55USD.

This is not meant to 'show off'. It is meant as a tip to my countrymen and women. To heck with eBay... if you live near the border it may be worth looking up a US dealer on your next trip over for any reason. Because, at least where I am, they (plural) don't seem to care for more than simply 'ridding themselves' of our coinage.

Cheers,

Steve

Shylo

Re: If You're Near the US Border... Tip for my Countrymen/wo

Post by Shylo » Wed Oct 30, 2013 4:55 am

Nice pick ups....

*drools*

Always fun to find good deals...

henrysmedford

Post by henrysmedford » Wed Oct 30, 2013 7:34 am

I live in the States and am not Canadian but love Canadian coins and have found that coin shops will sell Canadian coins for less than face. We can buy at a .8. Also banks give us Canadian coins for free yhat they find in rolls. Some day we are going to have a free trip to Canada.

toddsmetals

Post by toddsmetals » Sun Feb 02, 2014 8:12 am

Being from Minnesota I hear what you are saying when it comes to our US coin shop/dealers. They seem to minimize the value of Canadian coins to the point of all copper cents are due to be melted and the silver coins to be stacked waiting for a higher price in silver to rear it's head. I just find that Canadian coin designs are so much more better to look at than (may I say it) our US counterparts. I especially like the large cent coins from Canada. I have not yet acquired one as of yet but I want to learn more about grading and get the best for a standup looking set. But went the time comes to get that first large cent I feel I will have a pretty good chance of getting a good deal, being I am south of Canada. Here's hoping.

Bill in Burl

Post by Bill in Burl » Sun Feb 02, 2014 10:00 am

If you are from Minnesota, you are not necessarily South of Canada ... you are a good ways North of a good portion of the Canadian populace.
Bill in Burl

CDNMace

Post by CDNMace » Tue Feb 04, 2014 12:32 pm

Bill in Burl wrote:If you are from Minnesota, you are not necessarily South of Canada ... you are a good ways North of a good portion of the Canadian populace.

Just like Windsor/Detroit. North of Canada.

CDNMace

Post by CDNMace » Tue Feb 04, 2014 12:33 pm

toddsmetals wrote:Being from Minnesota I hear what you are saying when it comes to our US coin shop/dealers. They seem to minimize the value of Canadian coins to the point of all copper cents are due to be melted and the silver coins to be stacked waiting for a higher price in silver to rear it's head. I just find that Canadian coin designs are so much more better to look at than (may I say it) our US counterparts. I especially like the large cent coins from Canada. I have not yet acquired one as of yet but I want to learn more about grading and get the best for a standup looking set. But went the time comes to get that first large cent I feel I will have a pretty good chance of getting a good deal, being I am south of Canada. Here's hoping.

100%, on the money, as it were. Canada's designs are much more appealing, I find. Even more so than my beloved Barbers. There, I said it. lol

Cheers.

wiser3

Post by wiser3 » Mon Mar 10, 2014 10:30 am

I live in Canada near the US border and my employer had an office in the US that I occasionally had to drive to. I often made stops at US dealers on my way to or from the US office. Got lots of great deals on Canadian coins.

My best deal would probably be an 1858 large cent EF for $60 while our money was at par.
----

Don't be waylaid by the empty rhetoric of the uninformed.

CDNMace

Post by CDNMace » Thu Apr 03, 2014 3:34 pm

wiser3 wrote:
My best deal would probably be an 1858 large cent EF for $60 while our money was at par.

VERY nice!!!! :D