One Cent 1891 - Variety, Grade, Price?

General discussions about canadian coins.
Alex

One Cent 1891 - Variety, Grade, Price?

Post by Alex » Fri Jun 19, 2015 1:21 am

Dear community,

I ask your assistance in determining the variety of my One Cent 1891 (is it a S.D.S.L.?), and also its possible grade and realistic price with respect to the variety and grade.

Alex

Re: One Cent 1891 - Variety, Grade, Price?

Post by Alex » Fri Jun 19, 2015 1:23 am

I'm sorry, but I can't add image files of the coin -- already asked the Admin to check the issue...

Alex

Post by Alex » Sun Jun 21, 2015 2:41 pm

Alex

Post by Alex » Sat Jun 27, 2015 1:06 pm

Bill in Burl

Post by Bill in Burl » Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:34 am

I apologize if the verbiage and sentence structure in this post seems alien, but I thought that I has answering a PM from Joe, not a post onto the forum itself.

It is a SL/SD Obv 2, so it's a keeper. Whenever you see the small leaves, it HAS to be a SD as well. I always use leafs 8 (kind of under the 8) and 10 (kind of below and left of the 1) to delineate SD from LD. In a large date, the leaf tips will almost touch the denticles.... yours are well away.

Hadn't seen you in a while Joe ... which subforum did you post the thread on? I never saw it. BTW, there is a very scarce SD/SL Obv 2 that has a full foot on the left leg in Regina, but yours is the regular one (missing or barely there).

Wear-wise, it's an XF+, but has a hard rim knock which would make it about a VF-30 price. Recent Trends price is $200 in VF-20, but that's full retail. A dealer would give you less than $100 for it ... a collector filling a hole, maybe 100-125.
Bill in Burl

Alex

Post by Alex » Wed Jul 01, 2015 4:44 am

Dear Bill in Burl,

Thank you VERY much for your guidance re. leave SD-LD delianation. However, could you please be more specfic on the 'full foot on the left leg in Regina'? What is it and does it pertain to my sample?

Also, is it possible to assist me in selling it to any interested person? The coin is with me and is physically situated in Ukraine, but the registered post works quite orderly throughout the (civilized) world, so I don't think it will be a problem to send it. Also, concerning security, I can present a proof of my high coin-dealing reputation in my country, if needed, and assist in making all appropriate checks of it.

Bill in Burl wrote:I apologize if the verbiage and sentence structure in this post seems alien, but I thought that I has answering a PM from Joe, not a post onto the forum itself.

It is a SL/SD Obv 2, so it's a keeper. Whenever you see the small leaves, it HAS to be a SD as well. I always use leafs 8 (kind of under the 8) and 10 (kind of below and left of the 1) to delineate SD from LD. In a large date, the leaf tips will almost touch the denticles.... yours are well away.

Hadn't seen you in a while Joe ... which subforum did you post the thread on? I never saw it. BTW, there is a very scarce SD/SL Obv 2 that has a full foot on the left leg in Regina, but yours is the regular one (missing or barely there).

Wear-wise, it's an XF+, but has a hard rim knock which would make it about a VF-30 price. Recent Trends price is $200 in VF-20, but that's full retail. A dealer would give you less than $100 for it ... a collector filling a hole, maybe 100-125.

Bill in Burl

Post by Bill in Burl » Thu Jul 02, 2015 8:55 am

The only suggestion that I can give you as far selling it, is to put it on Ebay. There are many European sellers on Ebay that offer Canadian coinage from time to time. The prices that I gave you in the first post are Canadian dollars ... a Canadian dollar is worth about 80 cents US.

As far as the left foot of the N in Regina, as it pertains to the 1891 mintages:
The punch (hub) that makes working die design has all the design elements in "relief" or protruding like a typewriter key, but it is all one piece of steel. Early on in the manufacture/making of the 1891 working dies(or maybe left over from 1888), the left foot of the N in Regina started chipping off, finally resulting in no left foot at all. ALL 1891 SD/SL obv2 coins have a missing/broken left foot, as well as almost all of the Large Leaf ones.... one 1891 LL/LD Obv 2 working die had the N re-engraved. Since the 1892 mintages partially used the Obv 2 working dies to make the initial strikes for that year (followed by the Obv 3's & 4's later in the year), most of the 1892 Obv 2 1892 coins also had a broken left foot. However, on 2 of the 1892 working dies, the engravers/workers repunched the N in Regina so that a new left foot appears. The 1892 Obv 3's & 4's have full N's in Regina & made from good working dies. Likewise, the 1891 Obv 3's have good, full feet.

Since your coin is a SD/SL 1891, it naturally has a broken foot, as did all of them. BTW, there are 2 scarcer 1888 working dies that also have a broken left foot in the N.
Bill in Burl

Shylo

Post by Shylo » Tue Sep 01, 2015 8:38 pm

I am amazed ... such great info!

Bill I would love to be the parrot on your shoulder as you go to a show and sit down with old friends with drinks to follow the conversation would be a 1st rate education!

Now to pull out the large cents and have a look myself!