Info starting in coin buying?

General discussions about canadian coins.
Joe100

Info starting in coin buying?

Post by Joe100 » Sat Aug 29, 2015 3:25 pm

Can someone direct me to some good books/info on the basics of buying Coins. Looking especially at gold and silver. Something for beginners.

Thanks

Bill in Burl

Re: Info starting in coin buying?

Post by Bill in Burl » Sun Aug 30, 2015 3:47 am

I's suggest joining the RCNA and get their monthly journal. Maybe also pick up a copy or two of the Canadian Coin News or subscribe. There are also 34 very good coin site forums that you should join and start reading all the archived material going back one, two, tthree years. The best way to learn about a new hobby is spend the first $1-2 hundred on books/reference material before you even touch your first coin.
Bill in Burl

la cenne

Post by la cenne » Mon Aug 31, 2015 7:31 am

Like Bill said, better be informed before buying. You are interested in silver and gold and there are many fakes out there. Copies of Mint bullion bars,coins etc. I would stick to reputable dealers.
I personnaly only buy gold directly from the Mint. Welcome to our wonderfull hobby and enjoy. :Lecture: :Lecture: :Lecture: :Rechercher: :Rechercher: :Rechercher:

Shylo

Post by Shylo » Tue Sep 01, 2015 8:26 pm

On just plain silver and gold there's not too many books I have seen that have touched upon the subject that I have enjoyed...

I would read up a bit on commodity trading... because that's basically what you're doing if you're buying silver or gold bullion.

If you're interested in circulated coinage that's a different beast all together. As it's a section of numismatics and there's tonnes of books out there but you may have to refine your paramaters on that one just a touch narrower, like to a certain type of coin, date period or denomination.