Any ideas on stain/residue on 2016 50c from mint?

General discussions about canadian coins.
Richards

Any ideas on stain/residue on 2016 50c from mint?

Post by Richards » Thu Apr 14, 2016 9:13 am

Hey everyone,

So I ordered two of the 2016 special wrap 50 cent rolls and they came in today. One looks normal, but the second one seems to have some kind of black/dark blue stain on both coins on either end of the roll. I tried to wipe it away with just a lens cleaning cloth, but it didn't remove anything. Has anyone else ever seen this? Would it be from the minting or perhaps rolling process?

On the one side it is easily viewable on the bottom of the coat of arms. On the other end, you can see it on parts near the edge on the beads.

Quite tempted to crack open the roll and see what else is inside.

Thoughts?

Tee

Re: Any ideas on stain/residue on 2016 50c from mint?

Post by Tee » Thu Apr 14, 2016 9:33 pm

Hi

Just wanted to comment that I had a stain on one coin at the end out of 2 rolls as well. Not as bad as yours, one spot on the coin about a 1/4" round. Looks like blue dye from the wrapper perhaps.

Tee

Richards

Post by Richards » Fri Apr 15, 2016 7:17 am

Tee wrote:Hi

Just wanted to comment that I had a stain on one coin at the end out of 2 rolls as well. Not as bad as yours, one spot on the coin about a 1/4" round. Looks like blue dye from the wrapper perhaps.

Tee

Thanks Tee, good to know. Did you open either of the rolls, or are you keeping them wrapped? Still wondering if it's on any of the inside coins (granted if it's not from the wrapper/wrapping process)

Richards

Post by Richards » Fri Apr 15, 2016 8:48 am

Tee wrote:Hi

Tee

Well curiosity got the best of me! I opened the roll, and it was only the ones on the end, so it must have been either from the wrap itself or the process. Under a magnifying glass, it looked more like a tarnish - multicoloured like an oil slick, not just a black or blue.

On an up note, might have found three different varieties of dot errors! Post to follow in the error section :)

Tee

Post by Tee » Fri Apr 15, 2016 7:49 pm

Hi

No I hadn't opened the rolls. But, I did take a toothpick and remove the blue stain.

Saw your other post with the dots and checked the coins on the ends of the rolls, 2 obverse on 1 roll and 2 reverse on the 2nd roll. No dots on those 4 coins. By the way, nice find.

Tee